• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding weirdest issue i've come across - any thoughts?

Hi folks,

I need some input on this issue on my plant. Please chime in with your thoughts-

Problem statement: Mature (4 month old, 1.5ft tall), very healthy pepper plant has 0 buds on it. Plant has no issues save some edema from growing indoors in a tent. When I say 0 buds, I mean nothing. Growth at split ends seems to differentiate into more growing tips and leaves, not buds.

Environment: 

Temps : 70 (high), 57 (low)
Growing in: Fabric pot, Coco+Perlite medium,
Nutrients: Fertilized with masterblend. 
Seed: Saved from a birds chilli and germinated in January 2017. Chilli was from grocery store.

Other info: Only pepper plant with this problem. I have 4 other plants (different varieties) that are subject to the exact treatment above, and have no issues. They are flowering / fruiting profusely.

Any ideas? Pictures below.

wvK0Wlu.jpg

eLkeHRr.jpg

yjDnXVv.jpg

HElQOuR.jpg

Depending on where the mother's origin was, it may have been irradiated. As an example, nothing from Jamaica is allowed into US without being subjected to this. This is a guess on my part but I'm throwing it out there.

Another possibility is that seed was from a hybrid and you're now growing some Monsanto freak that may be sterile. Hard to know without knowing parent's provenance.

I learned the hard way that it's easier in the long run to just grow seeds I bought from Judy.

First thought is that its just a variety that takes longer than the others you are growing.  Same general planting date, some of mine came out of the grow room with full ripe peppers (Cayenne and Hungarian Paprika).  Others (Reaper, Primo, Scorpions) dont have flower one on them.

I would say it is probably due to genetics.  I had a black habanero grow to 8 feet tall and it did not start producing any flowers or pods until just before the frost hit.  Another black habanero from that same batch of seeds grew to 2 feet and produced through the entire pepper season.

I think the only thing I can really do other than wait or give up is to change the balance of N/P/K and see if there are any changes. I went back with a magnifying glass last night and I noticed that really tiny buds may be forming but seem to "dry up" and fall off before they are visible with a casual inspection.

Plan is to go from masterblend default mixing recipe to GH flora bloom and see if the additional P starts something. Ratio normalized to nitrogen below.

Masterblend

N:P:K
N:1
P:0.92
K:1.95

to flora bloom 

P:1.33
K:1.66

MadDog said:
Yeah but a bird chilli would normally beat those super hots to flower.

You'd think.  My thing today is if you had 100 of the acting a certain way, it is a thing.  One and who knows.  Same for germination.  You put three in a hole and get one.  Its a foot tall, and number two shows itself.  Who knows?  I have started looking as a grow as one thing, not a bunch of individuals.  Makes it easier when someone isnt living up to expectations.

AJ Drew - True. I go from hex cells to 3" peat pots to final pots because I've seen seedlings that lagged sprouting and growing by a week end up overtaking the ones that "appeared" to have the most vigor once I move them to the 3" peat pots. I wish I could eliminate this step but I know I'd be planting poorer stock in the final pots.

lek said:
could you enlighten me why any amount from inorganic sources will lead to too much nitrogen?

My post was in absolutes before, but really it's not absolute

Adding inorganic nitrogen will move the carbon:nitrogen ratio in favour of nitrogen
Low carbon in the soil will mean that the plant will not flower, or it will flower a lot but there will be no fruit

If the original poster added carbohydrate to the soil, for example molasses, it would be interesting to see what happened.
But basically, you shouldn't add nitrogen to the soil without adding carbon, which is almost impossible to do with organic sources

So really when people say "too much nitrogen", what is really happening is there is not enough carbon. It's not about nitrogen at all, it's just feeding the pepper plant nitrogen without feeding it carbon can result in these issues. For example who ever complains they added too much compost or mulch and the plant isn't fruiting? No-one I've heard of

I had a Hawaiian chilli (C.Frutescense) that grew to around 4 feet tall this season and was in the same size pots, same soil and same feeding regime as all my other plants yet did not produce any buds until very late in the season about 5 months after other plants of the same age. Yet it was always one of, if not the best looking plant. Sometimes you just gotta look after it and see what happens..

TheHydroScientist said:
I think the only thing I can really do other than wait or give up is to change the balance of N/P/K and see if there are any changes. I went back with a magnifying glass last night and I noticed that really tiny buds may be forming but seem to "dry up" and fall off before they are visible with a casual inspection.

Plan is to go from masterblend default mixing recipe to GH flora bloom and see if the additional P starts something. Ratio normalized to nitrogen below.

Masterblend

P:0.92
K:1.95

to flora bloom 

P:1.33
K:1.66

i don't think addition P is a good idea.   pepper plant doesn't need much P.    

let me tell you my methods  :party: 

#1. get rid of old leaves (reduce to 50%).   stop feeding all kind of hormones/fertilizer for at least a week.    reduce water a bit. 
#2. give the pepper plant amino acid.  stop feeding all kind of  NPK fertilizer.  stop watering and let it wilt. 
#3. use chitosan 

karoo said:
To much Nitrogen will stimulate great vegetative growth and no flowers.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

No, this isn't true.  You can't have too much nitrogen and still have a healthy plant.  If you have no flowers, and too much nitrogen, you have a deficiency somewhere else, or you have root dessication.  But the plant shouldn't look that good, in either case.
I'll agree that you may get FEWER blooms, but a bald plant? I don't agree...

ColdSmoke said:
Isn't Masterblend supposed to be supplemented with Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium sulfate?

Correct, and thats the treatment they've been getting. I should have been complete in the initial post. Waiting for the coco to dry and then will treat with higher P to see the results. Will post back.

Back