• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Scotch Bonnet Sauce 1

1 Tbsp.veg oil,2 onions diced,2 mangos(or papayas)skinned,seeded,diced 1/2",6 carrots diced 1/2",2 cho cho squashes,peeled diced 1/2",12 pimento berries,10 peppercorns,4 tyme sprigs,1 oz. ginger diced fine,1/2 cup sugar (turbinado best)8-12 scotch bonnets,1/4 cup cane or cider vinegar.
Heat oil,saute onions till translucent,add next 7 ingred.
saute 5 mins.Add sugar and peppers,when syrupy add vinegar and carrots,cook tillcarrots are soft,5-10 minutes
puree and strain,Refrigerate.

Dude, I just made a similar sauce last night with orange habs. I had been making a very close to your version with the mango but I am slightly allergic to mango. I have since dropped using it going with everything you just posted sans the squash and thyme.
Your recipe sounds fantastic!

Cheers, TB.

scoville ,

Sounds good for sure !! You being in Florida I'd think Cho Chos would be easy to find. Of course I don't that much about all parts of Florida. You may be in the sticks sorry for not knowing.

You probably know this but I'll add it anyway. Latin's call the cho cho a Chayote squash. I cook with them a lot
but wouldn't think your sauce would miss out much if you couldn't find any. To me they don't a lot of flavor. Not like a mango does or even good carrots.

P. Dreadie

Sounds great, another recipe I wanna try. Since one of my hab plants may very well be a SB plant I can use it's pods for it. I think I'll go for the mangos instead of the papayas, to me their flavor is stronger. I can't find cho cho here, but some other squash will do I guess. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Chiliac ,

If you haven't tasted a cho cho it's not like most squash , at least not to me. When I think squash it isn't the first thing I think of. I think of Yellow or Zucs . Butternut and others.

It's flesh kind of looks like cucumber. It's about as hard as a zuc or yellow squash. It has very little flavor of it's own. It takes on the flavor of any accompaniment.

P. Dreadie

P. Dreadie said:
scoville ,

Sounds good for sure !! You being in Florida I'd think Cho Chos would be easy to find. Of course I don't that much about all parts of Florida. You may be in the sticks sorry for not knowing.

You probably know this but I'll add it anyway. Latin's call the cho cho a Chayote squash. I cook with them a lot
but wouldn't think your sauce would miss out much if you couldn't find any. To me they don't a lot of flavor. Not like a mango does or even good carrots.

P. Dreadie

Thanks Dreadie,yes,did a little research and finally found out what they were!Have seen them a lot and will probably use them,just for the sake of authenticity...They are probably used for filler and consistency.

Scoville,

Glad you found them. They also call them Christophene.

Since you haven't played with one ...... you'll want to cut off each end, take a tater peeler and skin the thin flesh.
Set it up right on the fat end and slice off the usable part. It's got a seed on the inside kind of like a mango seed in shape. Depending on the size of the cho cho you'll get about a cup from each one.

Have fun !!
P.Dreadie

Hey, scoville. Love your avatar! I grew up in Silver Spring. And I am suffering from severe pepper envy right now, cuz Phoenix don't speak no SB peppers. Can't find em anywhere. I tried growing Caribbean Reds, but this spring, over a weekend, temps went from mid 90s to 110+. Killed em in 2 days. Bah. I'll get some seeds and try again. Any particular variety I should grow for the most unique SB flavor? Flavor most departed from habs, cuz every grocery store in Phx sells habs. At $13/lb, no less! Scalpers!
Speaking of scalpers--BEAT THEM COWBOYS!! That was GREAT
dk
HTTR INDEED

Back