• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Harden off yay or nah

They have been growing in the  greenhouse for a month  or two. Greenhouse has a 30 or 40% shade cloth over  it.  In your opinions, especially those of you with greenhouses do  you think they need hardening off? Weather and work schedule hasn't really allowed me to bring them  out much. Today is their second day outside the greenhouse and it's pretty windy and knocking them over. I'm off today and it's really nice out I was considering planting them but obviously don't want to scorch them. Next few days are supposed to be rainy off and on. 

x0vbm5Y.jpg

If the next few days are supposed to have scattered showers, it might work out well. Whenever I plant young fruit trees in the yard, I try to do it when it will be cloudy and raining on and off for a week or so. That way I don't have to worry about them too much.

Maybe i'll plant a couple duplicates and see what happens. I've had 3 pablano and a tabasco plant in the garden for two weeks but they was store bought. Or I can put the mosquito netting over them  immediately and it will  act just like the shade cloth did. 

Ive had mine under a 50% cloth for a week and moved the three biggest into buckets. I just put them where they will get half a day of full sunlight for a few days before 100%. 

Wind is important in the process, also. Give them as much air movement as you can.  Personally, if you have a shaded overhang on a north facing wall, I'd be very tempted to see how that might work out.

solid7 said:
Wind is important in the process, also. Give them as much air movement as you can.  Personally, if you have a shaded overhang on a north facing wall, I'd be very tempted to see how that might work out.

only  my front porch. Backyard is south facing, mostly full  sun. They been out there for a  few hours, other  than   getting knocked over from wind they look fine. Going to mow yard and see how they look after. If still  perky i'm  just going   to   throw them  into the ground  with mosquito netting  over  them. Plants are all pretty big and the stems  are thick.  

I live in a high wind area and i just use kabob skewers in a teepee shape stuck in the soil to secure the plants. Works really well.

To me tomatoes need much more hardening off then the pepper plants..I took my peppers right from the grow room to the garden with little or no problems..The beefsteak maters got a wicked sun burn..The Cherry tomatoes didn't seem to mind as much..

mine were in the greenhouse for 3 weeks , planted out last sunday , their fine !   do it every year ,    :party:  as for those nasty winds last week , they held up like champs , caged and staked 

I didn't  get to plant out, wife came home and wanted to go grocery shopping and dinner  so  I  put them back  in the  greenhouse. Everyone looked fine  from  the 4-5 hours  of  full  sun  so  next chance I  get  I'll  probably plant out. 

Back