• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container chicken eggshell as container. what do you think?

i wanna grow pepper plant in chicken eggshell.  which orientation is better for root development?   :crazy:   wanna try?

34865851885_3cce989a24_n.jpg

34055770853_1ffb094993_n.jpg

34865863115_b5767a6a55_n.jpg

I started several plants in eggshells this year, worked fine but I got them in the ground after only a few weeks of germination.  I would normally say eggshells are way too small for the roots of a pepper plant but I saw the picture of the pepper in a ping pong ball so who knows lol.... I had the plant coming out of the narrow side of the egg if that helps.

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
     You're planning to doom a pepper plant to a life in an eggshell and you're concerned about proper root development? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

why not? 

Doelman said:
I started several plants in eggshells this year, worked fine but I got them in the ground after only a few weeks of germination.  I would normally say eggshells are way too small for the roots of a pepper plant but I saw the picture of the pepper in a ping pong ball so who knows lol.... I had the plant coming out of the narrow side of the egg if that helps.

i think there is enough room. i used to grow in smaller container.

33834573830_2306e4c0fd_b.jpg

many people love my plant.  so i gave away all my plants inside small cup for free. 

dragonsfire said:
Maybe look at http://www.fatalii.net/Bonsai_Chiles_Bonchi
Your basically doing a Bonchi Plant.

nope.  in this experiment i won't make bonchi.   my goal is to grow pepper that can produce a lot of fruits in eggshell container.

i don't like plastic cup.  it's not from nature.  i still wonder if eggshell could slow release calcium to my pepper plant.   :party:

Suncoast said:

Ummm...why???
For fun? lol seeds are cheap, if it makes him happy growing smaller plants in tiny containers, more power to him!  I think it's pretty cool myself.

I've composted eggshells and they take forever to break down if I put them in whole.  No idea how much calcium it would release if used for a long period of time as a container, I doubt it would be much, can't hurt to try though!

Doelman said:
For fun? lol seeds are cheap, if it makes him happy growing smaller plants in tiny containers, more power to him!  I think it's pretty cool myself.

I've composted eggshells and they take forever to break down if I put them in whole.  No idea how much calcium it would release if used for a long period of time as a container, I doubt it would be much, can't hurt to try though!

trust me, it's fun.

mr.turtle said:
Lek please stop making me jealous that your peppers in small containers are so good.

anyway i kinda want to see how this turns out seeing as  his other small plants look so good.

i'm also interested in bigger container like  ostrich egg, bamboo cylinder and coconut shell.    :fireball: 

Powelly said:
Subscribing for results

thanks!  

I've got a couple Emu egg shells i could try this with  :party:
for science  ;)

I'm thinking the purple-and-white flowers of the Black Pearl x Coumari do Para i am growing would look great with the light green foliage, and the dark green Emu egg!
It is currently only about 25cm tall and lots of flowers. I'm sure it can be managed in a small container :)

the Emu eggs are significantly bigger than even x-large chicken egg but not as big as an Ostrich egg
0Ylf6qN.jpg

best of luck on your Egg containers 
I will be following and attempting to try it myself 

:cheers:

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
I've got a couple Emu egg shells i could try this with  :party:
for science  ;)

I'm thinking the purple-and-white flowers of the Black Pearl x Coumari do Para i am growing would look great with the light green foliage, and the dark green Emu egg!
It is currently only about 25cm tall and lots of flowers. I'm sure it can be managed in a small container :)

the Emu eggs are significantly bigger than even x-large chicken egg but not as big as an Ostrich egg
0Ylf6qN.jpg

best of luck on your Egg containers 
I will be following and attempting to try it myself 

:cheers:

Interesting cross! Would love to see what the plant and pods look like (especially in an emu egg - never though I'd say that!).

Back