• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Worm in my Jalapeno Pod

Well...I am having a fun first season.  I mentioned in a previous thread that I had a lot of pods dropping from both my Jalapenos and Cayennes, ostensibly due the extermely unseasonable heat in zone 9B over the last few weeks (high 90's)

I have cut a number of them open and they all look like the pic below.  Today, I noticed another Jalapeno had dropped and cut it open to check.  i found this little critter inside.  In retrospect, I should have put something in to show scale but I plain forgot.  It's tiny, mybe a third the size of a grain of rice.  Sorry for the blurry pic but, as I said...it's minute

Any thoughts?

Ah man... looks like a pepper weevil to me.  That's not good, an infestation will cause your peppers to drop off like you mentioned.  The adult beetle lays eggs on the flowers/peppers.  When the larvae hatch and start growing, they cause the pepper to drop off.

That and pepper weevils are not very common in the US.  I think they only cause issues in the extreme southern latitudes like the peninsula where you live.  I would try to talk to local pepper growers, I'm sure they've dealt with them before and could offer good advice.  I've found most of the guys at the local nurseries love to "talk shop".

There is also the chance this is a one off and not an infestation 

I have a hungry hungry caterpillar that munches on my plants at night but I've not done anything to stop it as the impact is so small

Powelly said:
There is also the chance this is a one off and not an infestation 

I have a hungry hungry caterpillar that munches on my plants at night but I've not done anything to stop it as the impact is so small

Unfortunately, it seems to be somewhat widespread on my early fruiting plants.  I have two that have just started to flower that I have seperated but I think I am going to have to do something drastic to the other 5

Suncoast said:

Unfortunately, it seems to be somewhat widespread on my early fruiting plants.  I have two that have just started to flower that I have seperated but I think I am going to have to do something drastic to the other 5
no sweat , pods will soon outnumber them ,      :party:    i had a couple already to , always happens , but they grow up and disappear  

moruga welder said:
no sweat , pods will soon outnumber them ,      :party:    i had a couple already to , always happens , but they grow up and disappear  

That's encouraging.  I was considering cutting the fruiting plants way back in order to get rid of the affected pods.  Most of my plants are still not to flowering so I thought that might be a step in the right direction

Powelly said:

Oh my god Powelly you blow my mind every day.  :banghead:
Such a sweet-heart.

Back