• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Florida Growers What potting mix do you like for your peppers?

The mix I have is discontinued and I need to find something new for my container peppers. I like how my current mix dries out pretty quickly and doesn't hold water. Everything at the store seems to be made to retain water. I'm worried about rotting roots with all the afternoon rain here in Central Florida. What do you like?

I'm in central Fl. also and have been using plain ole Miracle Grow potting soil mixed with perilite, about 2/3 to 1/3 ratio. I only have 3 plants in 5 gallon buckets( others in the ground) and have had great success with it. Of course the buckets dry out faster but I only give them about a half gallon of water mixed with their weekly nutrients 2 or 3 times a week. Very happy with results.....

Don't be afraid to make your own soil.  1/3 peat moss 1/3 vermiculite 1/3 compost, you can adjust the ratios to get the drainage characteristics you want.

Im no Florida Grower but I dont see why Promix wouldn't be perfectly fine for you. Its my go to potting mix. I just add seabird guano, azomite dust, and fish bone meal to each 5 gallon bucket of it. Id add worm castings if i had the money for it but i just cant get myself to spend more lol 

Justosmo said:
Im no Florida Grower but I dont see why Promix wouldn't be perfectly fine for you. Its my go to potting mix. I just add seabird guano, azomite dust, and fish bone meal to each 5 gallon bucket of it. Id add worm castings if i had the money for it but i just cant get myself to spend more lol 

Hi
Just some feedback on the azomite - I heard that it has a high level of aluminum in it and that other rock dusts are better. Personally I chose palagonite as it is a mixture of rock dust and clay dust

Is azomite cheap? Palagonite is not so cheap but other balsaltic rock dusts are fairly cheap

Back