• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Opinions? Kellogs soil

I think there are a few threads on this that they used "municipal waste" in their products. Do a search on here it might be there or some other users would know

Canes1 said:
I think there are a few threads on this that they used "municipal waste" in their products. Do a search on here it might be there or some other users would know

Isn't that grass and tree clippings? Sounds like a great compost to use on pepper plants

The Organic Plus potting mix is OMRI listed, so is it really bad?

Doing a bit of searching, i found this on Kellogg's website:

PROVEN ORGANIC QUESTIONS

• 1. What does “Proven Organic” mean?

We use the term “Proven Organics” because Kellogg lead the way with product approved by two reputable agencies; the California Department of Food and Agriculture Organic Input Material (OIM) program and the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI). Both agencies are accredited by the USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP). This means, every ingredient, every process and every production facility has been reviewed and found to meet the stringent standards set by NOP. Kellogg was one of the first to be approved by both agencies, making Kellogg Garden Organics and G&B Organics products “Proven Organic.”

• 2. I see a logo that says OMRI on some of your bags. What is OMRI?

All of our products are listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI), the leading non-profit, internationally recognized third party accredited by the USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP). OMRI reviews and verifies every ingredient and every process that goes into making our products, ensuring it is 100% compliant as organic, all the way to the original source. It is a stringent review process taking several months to complete. Look for the OMRI logo on the bag, ensuring every product is proven organic.

• 3. Do any of your products contain bio-solids/sewage sludge?

Of the 300+ products we produce, four products once contained biosolids. Since we have moved to register all of our products to be compliant with the USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP), none of our products contain bio-solids/sewage sludge in any form. Bio-solids/sewage sludge is a prohibited ingredient under USDA’s National Organic Program. All Kellogg Garden Organics and G&B Organics branded products are approved by the California Department of Food and Ag Organic Input Materials (OIM) program and listed with the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI). No product with an OIM seal or OMRI seal on the bag may contain bio-solids/sewage sludge.

I used it years ago and i didnt like it. I would thoroughly soak in the morning and by the time i got home it would be bone dry. Perhaps its a different formula now cuz i guess theyre all organic. This year im trying 4 different soils to see what difference they make. I'm using fox farms ocean forest, black magic from home depot, scotts hyponex and expert gardener potting soil. In my opinion though, the type of soil you purchase is only temporarily important because after a month all the nutrient value is virtually gone and you have to start fertilizing anyway. At that point all that really matters is moisture retention in the hot months. Im sure there are people on here that can break it down on a scientific level but i go more by trial and error. My personal favorite is fox farms ocean forest but its expensive.

Edmick said:
I used it years ago and i didnt like it. I would thoroughly soak in the morning and by the time i got home it would be bone dry. Perhaps its a different formula now cuz i guess theyre all organic. This year im trying 4 different soils to see what difference they make. I'm using fox farms ocean forest, black magic from home depot, scotts hyponex and expert gardener potting soil. In my opinion though, the type of soil you purchase is only temporarily important because after a month all the nutrient value is virtually gone and you have to start fertilizing anyway. At that point all that really matters is moisture retention in the hot months. Im sure there are people on here that can break it down on a scientific level but i go more by trial and error. My personal favorite is fox farms ocean forest but its expensive.

How did your test end?

My 2018 "trial" with Kellogg's Raised Bed and Potting Mix did not go well, with sickly plants struggling all year.  i don't know if it was a bad batch or what, but the plants never "took off" in any way.

A month ago I bought a bag of FFOF, tossed in some seeds, and the plants are jumping out of the cups.  When I first started growing, I had rather good success with a ~50/50 mix of OF and coarse coir.  I think I'm going to go back to that, but would love to hear how the Black Magic worked out.

I tried Kellogg's in 2017.

Even weeds and Morning Glorys would not grow in it.

I had five varieties of Bell peppers, the ones that did produce pods were very small and deformed.

I would definitely recommend not to use Kellogg's.

I think the more research you do the better you become. No recipe works great for everyone. I modify each year myself with new soil mixtures and nutrients to determine whether my pepper plants will grow better, documenting what I use along the way for reference later on.
You really can see fairly quickly whether the plants like the soil and amendments. If you water correctly and give proper sun, it should grow well. If not, you need to research better what is in the soil? Are there be eficials? You using chemicals? Using foliar tea? List goes on, but change in small increments so that you dont shock the plants.
Keep a log book on what you use and you will learn what may not be best for you and your location or plants, or what does.
My initial soil, its make up, and continued care is more of a hijack if I go on, so good luck.

Back