• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Big Black Mama (Troy Primo)

Hi guys!
So I'm literally freakin'out about this pepper: I saw some reviews (Bill Moore, Jason Reilly, Bishop Brad) and it seems really impressive.
So it's a Douglah X Naga Morich cross by Troy Primo, horticulturist from LaFayette, LA.
I had the chance to talk to Troy on Facebook and buy some of his products: I believe he's a stand up guy and always been kind to me.
We talked about the BBM too,he wants to stabilize this variety before selling seeds, and I truly respect his choice.
I decided, even if a lot of companies already have these seeds for sale, that I will wait to grow it until I can have seeds directly from Troy.

Don't have any but these are some Primos I grew from Troy's seeds last year

Meanwile, I'm curious to know everything about it, so I would like you to post your BBM thoughts, pics and, why not, reviews! :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oju3rHw_Chg

I'd appreciate any contribution to this topic, show me what you've got!

Cheers

Roberto

I was lucky enough to get seeds from Troy when he did a special a couple of years ago for a free pack of seeds with a sauce purchase. I'm not a fan of most brown pods, but actually enjoyed the flavour of the BBM which surprised me as I dislike the flavour of douglahs. Heat was insane too. Seemed to have the typical chocolate heat that makes it seem a hell of a lot hotter than it really is.
Had 2 seeds left from that pack so have 2 plants going this year. Hoping for a good harvest as they make a damn good powder.

I got a few pods from Troy last year, a few BBMs some Primo's, and others. He brought a bunch to this event, and I was saying, I'm gonna save some seeds from these to grow out. But he was like, no, I need to get you some isolated seeds...as these were not, and weren't perfect pheno types. I know this season he told me he's got a farmer near New Iberia growing out 1000s of his Primo's just for ISO seeds. Last year he got screwed with the flood.

But anyway, those BBMs are killer. How did he describe it....like battery acid.

Man, now that you got me thinking, I don't know why I'm not growing any this year.

I am growing some Primo's that I got from his open pollinated pods, and who knows, maybe they're crossed with something else he's got going on, like that Louisiana Creeper. Hah! Just joking, I'm sure he's got those secluded and closed off, under wraps.

Here are some shots of my most impressive BBMs from last season.  My seed source was mojo peppers.  

In this first pic the BBM is the largest pod in the middle for comparison (it is in fact a large chinense) Note that the peppers are slightly under ripe in many of the shots... they mature to a dark brown.
IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

I also got in on the deal from Troy of buying the sauce and getting BBM seeds free. I grew them in 2015 and loved it! (Grew them last year from his seeds and got red.) Here's a pic of one just ripening.

18XbHtW.jpg

And here's a group photo.

DcrYzfu.jpg

I loved it so much that I crossed it with Caramel 7 Pot Madballz in 2015, grew out F1 last year and am growing F2's this year. Here's a link to PeterS reviewing F1. Sorry, I don't know how to embed videos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJLKTonjIu0

-Adam

Bhuter said:
I also got in on the deal from Troy of buying the sauce and getting BBM seeds free. I grew them in 2015 and loved it! (Grew them last year from his seeds and got red.) Here's a pic of one just ripening.

18XbHtW.jpg

And here's a group photo.

DcrYzfu.jpg

I loved it so much that I crossed it with Caramel 7 Pot Madballz in 2015, grew out F1 last year and am growing F2's this year. Here's a link to PeterS reviewing F1. Sorry, I don't know how to embed videos.

-Adam

Reminds me of the "Black Bhutlah" that Chris Phillips is selling early generations of. https://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/products/cp-288-black-bhutlah-slp-f2

This is an intensely hot Capsicum chinense pepper originating from Peter Merle in the Canary Islands. This phenotype originally showed up from a Bhutlah Red SLP plant in Christopher's garden and immediately caught his eye. While not black in color per se, the pods are much darker when ripe than the standard Bhutlah Brown SLP so Peter decided to name the phenotype Black Bhutlah SLP to differentiate it. The variety is still in the early stages (F3 seed being sold) so pod shape / color variations could occur. The peppers are extremely pimpled and the interior walls are just completely lined in capsaicin! We do not have an exact heat level on this one yet, but after one bite, we knew it was in the Stupit Hot category!!

Good on Primo for not advising planting early generations, but I sort of think off-types and weird segregents are super fun.

OMG!!!!! Guys, these pics you're uploading are incredibly awesome!

This pepper has pimples, spikes, thin walls and thick placenta like I've rarely seen!!! And pods are HUGE!!! 
I saw Neil Smith's review yesterday and heatwise I'm having more and more ideas of its spicyness!

Glad to see from you again, and thank you for your contribution! ;)

You guys rock!!!

Back