• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

Aji Amarillo is the variety of the Inaugural Growdown Throwdown for the Southern Half of the world!

GROWDOWN BEGINS 21ST JUNE - WINTER SOLISTICE!

No seeds sown before this date are eligible for competition.
All seeds must be from reputable vendors e.g THSC.

Only one plant can count towards your entry.
You must nominate which plant is your entry before first weigh in.
Weigh each harvest, and post picture of pods on scales here.
Pods can be weighed either ripe or unripe.
No Limit to number of weigh ins.
Each contestant's entries will be tallied, and an accumulative scoreboard will be announced every quarter (on the equinox and Solistace)
Whomever has the heaviest total weight of pods in one year's time will be the winner.
Prizes will be sorted out by then.
Also going to be giving out a few small prizes for other categories, TBA. All will be decided before the seeds hit the dirt. (Or peat, vermiculite or whatever you use....)

No cheating - honest competition for honest people!

Good luck and have fun! :party:

The only vendor in South Africa with Aji Amarillo seeds available , has a picture of yellow ones not orange. Livingseeds .
Are these still Aji Amarillo.?

aji-amarillocontainer-gardening_10147_250x250.jpg

LocalFart said:
Geez that's early... okay, I'll organise some seeds.  :rolleyes:

Are there any on the train? :drooling:

Not sure about the train, there wasn't any when it got to me, but that was a few stops ago...
And you don't have to start early, I doubt anyone will have 365 days of fruit, so starting later isn't much of a disadvantage. At least we know you won't be jumping the gun!  :P

karoo said:
The only vendor in South Africa with Aji Amarillo seeds available , has a picture of yellow ones not orange. Livingseeds .
Are these still Aji Amarillo.?

attachicon.gif
aji-amarillocontainer-gardening_10147_250x250.jpg

Had a look at the site and it seems reliable enough, but the picture kinda throws me.

Thoughts anyone?

P.S. ordered my seeds from THSC today, with a few other varieties for next season!  :drooling:  ;)

I was thinking, and had some ideas. In addition to the overall competition, we could also give out some prizes to the heaviest weigh in, heaviest pod, most pods in a weigh in and most pods all up.

We don't have to do any of them, they're just a few ideas I had.

18 days to go!

I like them all except for heaviest individual pod.... only because I'm too lazy to weigh each pod on its own!

As far as prizes go, I don't know what's traditionally done with the northern hemisphere guys but it might be cool if we could build a "pool" of seeds/powders etc. from participants that could be given as prizes. Just a thought.

If you folks lived in the States, I would gladly donate seeds for this competition.

I'm sure the contest would work well if everyone was growing the same Baccatum cultivar. Aji amarillo pods are orange when ripe, never yellow, and are large pods. If at any point during the ripening stage your pepper is yellow, it is not an aji amarillo.

Aji amarillo from my garden

Back