• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Roasted Habanero BBQ Sauce

My wife and I decided to forego the traditional Easter ham and smoke a pork butt. Why not? It's been summer-like here since January.

Today, while waiting for the magic of smoke and meat, I decided to whip up some real dang hot BBQ sauce. This sauce is tasty but really brings the heat. It's still simmering on the stove right now so this is a FRESH recipe!

If anyone tries this I'm currious as to how it would work on wings...just add butter ...who knows?

Roasted Habanero BBQ Sauce

Roast in Skillet:

24 Habaneros
8 Cloves of Garlic
1 medium Sweet Onion, cut in half

1 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup molasees
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Black Pepper to taste
Dash Wostershire
Dash Honey

For skillet roasting a cast iron skillet is best. Medium heat. Put Habaneros, garlic cloves ( with skin still on) and onion ( sliced side down, skin still on) ) in dry skillet. Move them around periodically until they are well roasted…about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Using gloves, remove seeds and stems from Habaneros and place in blender. Remove skin from garlic and onions and add to blender. Add about a 1/4 cup of vinegar to help blend. Add the salt and pepper at this time. Blend well until liquid.

In medium saucepan add about a cup of vinegar. Medium heat. Add the contents of blender. Stir. Add cup of brown sugar and stir to dissolve. If desired, add dash of Wostershire, honey and the molasses, but these are optional.
Let simmer for 30 minutes to one hour.

You like seeds? Leave 'em in.

I remove the seeds in many recipes. I think they add heat without much flavor. I use enough habs that there is plenty of heat anyway but the great hab flavor shines through without blowing out your taste buds.

For BBQ sauce I don't think they are good texture wise. Also, this stuff is plenty hot. As a matter of fact, I had to dilute it with some Memphis style BBQ sauce I also make. It's a bit too hot for BBQ sauce. If I spend 11 hours smoking some meat I want to taste the flavor of the meat...not just heat.

" I think they add heat without much flavor"

Hmmmm. Never thought of it that way! Time to make some sauce (two batchs) to test.

Thanx again for the recipe chik. It does sound great.

Everybody knows that if you leave the seeds in, it's hotter, fortunately, it doesn't take away from the hab flavour.

I'm curious to hear about the difference of your two batches, huvason.

T

Tina Brooks said:
Everybody knows that if you leave the seeds in, it's hotter, fortunately, it doesn't take away from the hab flavour.

I'm curious to hear about the difference of your two batches, huvason.

T

NO problem. I will post my findings!

I look at recipes as a basic guideline...not a bible. If you are like me...do what you want...experiment.

One thing I didn't include in the recipe is that I DID add 4 more fresh habs.

As for the seeds...the recipe, as posted, is PLENTY hot...for BBQ sauce. I was not trying to make some sort of extreme hot sauce here. BBQ sauce should compliment the flavor of smoked meat, no overpower it with excessive heat.

Another issue with sauces is consitency. How many BBQ sauces have you seen with a bunch of chile seeds in them? It's just not appropriate for BBQ sauce.

Now did I stand there are pick out every single seed? No. There are a few in there...I'm not psychotic. But it's really not that hard to de-seed chiles if you have any prep skills at all.

Maybe I'll post a pic....

chuk hell said:
I look at recipes as a basic guideline...not a bible. If you are like me...do what you want...experiment.

One thing I didn't include in the recipe is that I DID add 4 more fresh habs.

As for the seeds...the recipe, as posted, is PLENTY hot...for BBQ sauce. I was not trying to make some sort of extreme hot sauce here. BBQ sauce should compliment the flavor of smoked meat, no overpower it with excessive heat.

Another issue with sauces is consitency. How many BBQ sauces have you seen with a bunch of chile seeds in them? It's just not appropriate for BBQ sauce.

Now did I stand there are pick out every single seed? No. There are a few in there...I'm not psychotic. But it's really not that hard to de-seed chiles if you have any prep skills at all.

Maybe I'll post a pic....

Given he's a funny looking hat type wearing chef, I would never accuse the Peppermaster of not having prep skills, but from what I can tell, he always leaves the seeds in. But then, we ARE trying to burn our faces off. :lol:

T

Tina Brooks said:
we ARE trying to burn our faces off. ..

But are you making BBQ sauce? There is a difference between BBQ sauce and hot sauce.

I think you just want to argure with me about this and I'm not sure why.

I do make sauces with whole peppers ( including seeds) somethimes. I made one last year I dubbed "100 Habaneross" which is basicly what was in it. Pretty close to a mash with just enough lime juice, onion and salt to balance out the flavor. That stuff would light up anyone.

I'll also leave 'em in sometimes when using seranos because they're harder to de-seed.

But let's just face the facts. Seeds are not tasty...unless you're a bird I guess. Try taking just a bunch of chile seeds and chewing them up and see how tasty that is. Hot yes but not a pleasant taste experience. I can get quite high heat levels not using them. Don't believe me? Look here.

CaJohn’s take:

"The first thing I have to say about this sauce is… It is definitely a Chilehead’s sauce! It delivers great heat and flavor."

Anyway, like I said before...if seeds are your thing, feel free to leave 'em in. There's no real rules to this stuff....

chuk hell][quote=Tina Brooks said:
we ARE trying to burn our faces off. ..

But are you making BBQ sauce? There is a difference between BBQ sauce and hot sauce.

I think you just want to argure with me about this and I'm not sure why.

I do make sauces with whole peppers ( including seeds) somethimes. I made one last year I dubbed "100 Habaneross" which is basicly what was in it. Pretty close to a mash with just enough lime juice, onion and salt to balance out the flavor. That stuff would light up anyone.

I'll also leave 'em in sometimes when using seranos because they're harder to de-seed.

But let's just face the facts. Seeds are not tasty...unless you're a bird I guess. Try taking just a bunch of chile seeds and chewing them up and see how tasty that is. Hot yes but not a pleasant taste experience. I can get quite high heat levels not using them. Don't believe me? Look here.

CaJohn�s take:

"The first thing I have to say about this sauce is� It is definitely a Chilehead�s sauce! It delivers great heat and flavor."

Anyway, like I said before...if seeds are your thing, feel free to leave 'em in. There's no real rules to this stuff....[/quote]

I simply want to discuss the value of the seeds. I honestly can't says I've ever tossed a bunch of seeds in my mouth and crunched them up... I might just do that. If it really does add the bitterness you say, than I might want to change how I feel about leaving the seeds in. But as I said, I've never noticed it... It should make an interesting experiment.

Indeed in "culture", we are making "hot sauces", but we're more like cooking and grilling sauces for chiliheads than what most people think of when I say "hot sauce". We've honestly more in common with the hot BBQ market than we do with what I've seen from most of the hot sauce market.

Anyway, no argument, just discussion... S'why we're here. :lol:

T

Huvason, did you end up making both versions of this hot BBQ sauce?
I would like to see the exact same recipe, but one with seeds and the other without seeds. Did you make the whole batch up, and then just split the peppers?
One with seeds, one without?
Curious as to how this turned out.
Also, how much BBQ sauce does the recipe above give you?

It made about a pint as I recall.

Seeds or no seeds...I still don't see the big deal here.

When I think of BBQ sauce I don't think of a bunch of chile seeds in it. Wrong texture .... but honestly....it shouldn't make that big of a difference. It got really blown out of proportion here.

Anyway, the sauce was hot as all get-out...which probably has more to do with the heat level of the chiles used than anything else.

Ratdz said:
Huvason, did you end up making both versions of this hot BBQ sauce?
I would like to see the exact same recipe, but one with seeds and the other without seeds. Did you make the whole batch up, and then just split the peppers?
One with seeds, one without?
Curious as to how this turned out.
Also, how much BBQ sauce does the recipe above give you?

Not yet. Still on the list - I definitely want to make both of them. Got side tracked when I decided to start my own hot sauce business :hell:

Back