• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review The Screaming Chimp's Stinger

Hello again everyone, it's time I caught up a bit on my backlog of posts to copy over from my blog so here's one of my recent review samples. It was, honestly, a little disappointing.

Welcome back everyone, today we're looking at another Screaming Chimp sauce. Their hottest, The Stinger.

2017-03-11-11-14-02.jpg

At 4.25%, the chilli content of this sauce is actually lower than the last one but the numbers aren't everything. The Stinger's main chilli is the mighty trinidad scorpion, so it's going to have a bit of a kick to it regardless.
And again, I'm surprised the name of the chilli isn't a little more prominent on the bottle, given how using the world's second hottest is usually a major selling point for a sauce.

No, what we have here is practically the same as the last label.

Again, we see the red border and name banner. Again we see their parchment style background becoming the skintone of their iconic screaming chimp imagery. All that's really changed is the little name and the heat rating.

This sauce is marked as four chillies hot, rather than the original's three, but it's currently unclear how much difference that will make. Especially as the two contain practically the same chillies, with this one merely upping the quantity of ghost and scorpion and changing the scotch bonnet for chocolate habanero.

And, alongside that hint of chocolate hab, its 4.25% chilli content also includes fatalii and lemon drop for flavour, meaning that it's far from being all superhots. They're all hot but most of the chillies in here aren't even close to the scorpion pepper that gives this sauce its heat.

It's an interesting blend but, after the original, I'm not expecting it to come through in the Stinger's flavour. I could easily be wrong, though, so let's dig in and find out.

2017-04-03-11-23-42.jpg

As you can probably see, this sauce is just as tomato-based as the last and it does have a good few shreds of red chilli in it. The seeds, however, could just as easily come from the tomato as from the peppers.

It turns out that this one is a little more savoury than their first sauce and, as the chilli heat begins to build, a sourness comes in with it. It's a middle of the mouth, both top and tongue, fire that heads backwards to the throat as it grows, within a minute reaching towards the top of a
[SIZE=300%]4.5/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=300%]Heat[/SIZE]

It isn't quite on par with your average ghost pepper sauce but it isn't all that far from it either.

It's a good, rather throaty burn by the end, that hits me less like a superhot product and more like a slightly hotter “extra hot” sauce. It does possess the grow and fade of its supers but, for a scorpion sauce, this one comes in relatively fast and drops off a lot before the long fade begins, making it more of a lingering warmth than the masochistic levels of prolonged heat that the pepper is known for.

Aside from that sourness that comes with the burn, it's pretty pleasant and, despite not tasting any of their fruitiness, I am picking up just a hint of pepper flavour in this one.

In the end though, it's still mostly the tomatoes that give this sauce its fruity taste, with them having again been gently simmered for optimum sweetness. It's still very similar to their original sauce.

[SIZE=medium]Personally, I preferred that original. It had less sourness to distract from its sweet, fruity tomato and orange taste. This one's still a decent sauce but it doesn't feel as special in flavour and there's no sign of the unique taste of its chillies to set it apart.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It still keeps all the same potential uses as that original but, be it wings or chinese style meat and tofu, I don't see it being the better of the two for any of them unless you really want that extra bit of burn.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]This one, I'm not going to mind giving back.[/SIZE]

Back