• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Volunteer Pepper Plant. Hybrid?

So this guy came up in my compost mix. I have no idea what it could be. It looks nothing like all the other peppers I've grown or am growing.  It's unique in that the peppers grow vertical on the plant. They don't hang at all. They are almost triangular in shape, with 3-4 distinct sides. Pretty robust in shape, about the size of a jalapeno, but with more sharp/distinct edges. The flavor is sweet and hot, with a delayed heat, sort of like a habanero, but maybe not quite as hot. Very good flavor, I don't know if it is the color that was influencing me, but I tasted chocolate. And the appearance is green to chocolate to maybe darker, I don't think the peppers have reached final maturity yet. Also it is not a long season pepper, it is fruiting around the same time as my jalapenos and fish peppers. Attached are pictures. Thanks for the help!

File%20Jun%2009%201%2018%2000%20PM_zps4z7r4hmv.jpeg

File%20Jun%2009%201%2018%2016%20PM_zpscuguanhp.jpeg

File%20Jun%2009%201%2018%2027%20PM_zpskhrcpisy.jpeg

File%20Jun%2009%201%2018%2040%20PM_zpsvyyqian4.jpeg

File%20Jun%2009%201%2018%2055%20PM_zpsbtlyp8hp.jpeg

Bees can bring pollen from more than five miles away.  So hybrids do happen.  But coming from a typical compost pile, oh my the possibilities.  Few people believe this, but my daughter once planted roasted sunflower seeds and one grew.  Now I imagine an unroasted one was just mixed into the package, but who knows.  I would not be surprised to see something grow out of even processed and jarred salsa.  Add to this the fresh peppers you might have purchased over the winter whose bits found their way to your compost.  So am thinking odds of figuring this one out are like winning the lotto.  Keep in mind, I have to check last nights drawings.

AJ Drew said:
Bees can bring pollen from more than five miles away.  So hybrids do happen.  But coming from a typical compost pile, oh my the possibilities.  Few people believe this, but my daughter once planted roasted sunflower seeds and one grew.  Now I imagine an unroasted one was just mixed into the package, but who knows.  I would not be surprised to see something grow out of even processed and jarred salsa.  Add to this the fresh peppers you might have purchased over the winter whose bits found their way to your compost.  So am thinking odds of figuring this one out are like winning the lotto.  Keep in mind, I have to check last nights drawings.

I was hoping with the unique growth pattern, someone might be able to narrow it down. It is rather unique. I have other volunteers that are pretty generic in appearance, but this one is unlike any other pepper I'm growing. I do like to give the hybrid and volunteers an opportunity to grow, because you end up with something like this. Did I mention the flavor? Admittedly I don't have very discerning taste buds, but this was very noticeably tasty. 

Might well be a bee inspired hybrid.  Just mean the possibilities are endless.  I too love surprises.  I dont generally save the volunteers anymore, but when something grows weird it is almost always a saver.  I think that is one of the best parts of growing, discovering something new.

Back