• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

In the grpound or leave in pots ??

Should I just get bigger pots or berry them then dig them up in the fall to be overwintered ?  The pepper Plants. Ws thinking just get lots of compost and leave them on the surface. The grounds been neglected for years and it tough even after tilling, so will be weeding for a while.

P6100941_GardenPeppers-1000_zpsf7gmo3xo.jpg

I keep all my peppers in pots. You would obviously need to transplant them into much bigger pots which means more cost on soil but if cost isnt a concern then i would say stick with pots.

Leaving them in pots makes it simple for overwintering.

Planting them will allow them to get quite a bit larger and produce more pods.

Tilling will increase ground compaction in the long term
Cover the ground in compost and a mulch

Weeds can be out-competed, nature hates empty space. Usually weeds appear when there is something stopping the main crop from growing optimally

Thanks!
Will see how it goes in getting more soil next time Im able, I think their large bags/bails of compost, still have a couple bags of black soil and coco coir. :)

If you dont want to till you can think about this instead.....  I have very hard compacted clay soil in my area so I just use a Post Hole Digger and dig 10-12 inch wide hole by 18" deep, I fill the hole with good store bought soil and my pepper plant.  That way you keep the soil costs down and you're not trying to till the hard compacted area and it just makes it easier. 

A few years back I planted some peppers in the ground and some in pots. The peppers in the ground grew much better and produced more peppers.

i keep one of each variety in a 5 gallon bucket up on my deck and have the other 20 or so in gardens throughout the yard. if the shiz hits the fan i can grab the buckets and move them inside or wherever necessary and keep the strain alive.

Back