• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's eating my peppers

It looks like some kind of pest but I don't see anything on the leaves, just slight browning and curling of the top. If anyone recognise this, please advise what to do to remedy. 

I've ordered some epsom salts in case it is lack of Mg, I've been occasionally spraying with dishsoap and neem oil. I've also fed the plants with my comphrey and nettle tea and some seaweed plant food. I haven't over used the feed, maybe once a week gave them a little.

Anybody knows what it is please?

Check the undersides of the leaves for pests. Check also at night and at dawn for pests as well. I'm not really sure what it would be, other than a fungal disease like anthracnose. Those black spots in your last picture is what throws me off the most. 

peppamang said:
Check the undersides of the leaves for pests. Check also at night and at dawn for pests as well. I'm not really sure what it would be, other than a fungal disease like anthracnose. Those black spots in your last picture is what throws me off the most. 

The last image I took a week ago, top picture is the same plant, picture taken today. That how it progressed.

If it is a fungal disease, how do I treat it? 

I see small red spider like bugs, they crawl really fast and disappear under the leaves. I spray a bit of neem but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm expecting a delivery of epsom salts but I'm not convinced it will do anything to remedy the problem. It may help plants get a bit stronger and fight it themselves. Dunno.

I'm quite desperate but don't know what to do.

ErolDude said:
Those spider bugs are called spider mites, and are the devils work.

How do I kill them?

The bottom of the plants is quite healthy, there are lots of new shoots from the nodes. I just hope it won't get attacked by the same thing as the tops. In the mean time, I'll keep on spraying Neem solution and hope for the best.

Unless someone has a better idea. I do love my plants, I raised them from seed, looked after them for good 5 months and I would love them to live and be happy.

Kelp tea or seaweed extract applied as a foliar will stop the eggs from hatching, breaking their reproductive cycle

Thanks everybody for your replies! :)

I've sprayed peppers with seaweed extract yesterday and I'm hopeful they'll pull through. I'll do this once a week, not sure if I can do it more often.

I have a massive problem with pests, my lovage plant is attacked by a bug that turns it's leaves brown and the ants are shepherding mites on my Turkish orange aubergine plant. I've tried neem and soap solution but no joy from it. Yesterday I hose them off the plant but this morning they are back on it:

I'm at my wits end with those.

Just removed those from the plant. 

The plant looks like this now:

Should I give it a chance or will it spread to other plants in which case, I should kill it with fire?

Keep the plant seperately from others.
You can try to get rid off them by using sticky side of tape however it is kind of hard to get them all.
Some people use soap water spray. I'm using neem oil and it works great for me - I have had aphids several times and after 2 or 3 sprayings they all died.

Yesterday I've sprayed plants with a mix of Neem, cooking oil, nettle tea and water. It wasn't concentrated mix, probably 8 parts water.

This morning I'm seeing new shoots and plants don't seem to mind it. Quite the opposite.

All seems to be good for now. Thanks for your replies. :)

Honey Badger said:

Watch out, looks a lot like bacterial leaf spot...
bacterial_leaf_spot_pepper_l.jpg

https://extension.umd.edu/growit/bacterial-leaf-spot-pepper-vegetables

Back