• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

post rain woes

After multiple weeks of almost constant rain, we finally had a week of clear weather last week.  Unfortunately, my peppers still aren't look that great, not sure what to do.  Suggestions? 4 out of 7 look the worst, but almost all of them have lost all their leaves on the lower stem.  I didn't use a mulch this year, that might have been a mistake...

KP2DhxK.jpg

Gg1A6oW.jpg

XXdKYHj.jpg

UZ8TWkv.jpg

hDDsR37.jpg

They'll be okay.  Half of my plants lost ALL of their leaves this year because all the rain hit at the same time as transplant shock from potting them up.  You can pinch blooms for a bit if you want to encourage them to grow, but it isn't necessary.  I'll try to snag some pics tomorrow of the yellow 7-pot out front that was a spindly, naked stick about a month ago.  Thing is ridiculous huge for a 2017 plant confined to a 2 gallon pot.  Had a Yellow Fatalii that looked like a toothpick with an afro for a month, but even it has filled back out quite well.  Yours look okay and should do just fine after it dries out a bit.

I had the same problem. But from past experience, they just need a bit to bounce back. When the rain finally stopped and we moved immediately to 80s/90s, my peppers were gasping for breath. Right now, a couple are behind the curve, but most have really perked up and are pushing a lot of new growth. They're just gangly teenagers right now. They'll grow into their bodies very soon :)

Thanks, my peppers have never looked this bad in June, but we've had more rain in the last month than we've had in many years so I guess it isn't a surprise.  What worries me the most is that those pictures were taken after a week of no rain, and even some of the new growth that happened during that week doesn't look great.  We had rain every day this weekend and the forecast is for rain every day this week, just can't get a break!  Just wait and see I guess.

Still having issues.  Some plants are doing ok, but some are doing pretty horribly, especially my Jalapeno plant.  We haven't had rain since last Saturday and even some of the new leaves that have come up in the last few days are showing brown edges.  Not sure what's wrong with this one, some kind of disease perhaps?

sA32FcC.jpg

A general granular fertilizer, around 6-8-8.  It's been close to a month since I fertilized them last and that's the only time they've been given fertilizer, I recomposted all my beds this spring.  Haven't given them anything since so I could rule out fert burn.

Doelman said:
A general granular fertilizer, around 6-8-8.  It's been close to a month since I fertilized them last and that's the only time they've been given fertilizer, I recomposted all my beds this spring.  Haven't given them anything since so I could rule out fert burn.
Not sure if it's related but that's pretty strong fertilizer compared to what I use. I use 2-4-2.

I had the same problem after all the rain we got in the last month. All of my leaves looked like yours, and most dropped off. I thought I had bacterial leaf spot. Once the rain quit and everything dried out, I gave them a good shot of nutes. They dropped the rest of the diseased looking leaves and started putting on healthy new growth. They are fine now. Id advise giving them a good feeding to start new growth.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I'll give them some nutes this afternoon.  Unfortunately rain is forecasted for the next 5 days.  Seriously wet spring, tropical storm Cindy, and now starting summer with tons of rain.  I'm tempted to tarp them.

Finally got some pics.  To help ease your mind, check out my glog.  I'll try to get some better ones in future days, but you can get the idea.  All of the plants you see in those shots were sticks like yours with zero leaves on them maybe two months ago.  I was so convinced they were going to die that I started a dozen more seedlings super late.  (Everything lived...so many plants...)

The plant in the background of the Fatalii shot is over four feet tall and has leaves on it the size of my hand.  It was completely naked less than two months ago and less than half that size.  I also have an Aji Pineapple that has quadrupled in size over the past month from a 6 inch, nearly dead twig to a four foot tall and bushy plant with flowers on it.  Once yours get over this rough spot, they should really take off.  Keep the faith.  :)

Doelman said:
I'll give them some nutes this afternoon.  Unfortunately rain is forecasted for the next 5 days.  Seriously wet spring, tropical storm Cindy, and now starting summer with tons of rain.  I'm tempted to tarp them.

it has been the same here over in Georgia. go for the tarp! i did and it has helped mine out alot i believe. if you look through my post history i put up some pics of my little shelter in another post. i have a pretty similar set up to you.

Flash flood watch today, couple inches of rain yesterday, rain forecasted every single day for the next 10 days.  This is just absurd.  I already have supports around this bed for the support netting I use, I'm going to try a tarp at least during the night when it's supposed to rain.

And to make things so much better, it looks like my maters have early blight, no doubt due to these ridiculous conditions.

They will be fine, but I do want to suggest better drainage.  On mulch, probably a good thing they weren't mulched because the ground will dry out faster.  I mulch heavy on the rows and not in between.  In between dries out fast.  The rows keep in the moisture.  Kind of a trade off but here in my area this is the first wet year in a while. 

If you have a spot in your yard that slants downhill, that might be a better place next year.  Maybe it is just your pictures but the area looks very flat.  Not great for peppers.

Some of my Cayenne peppers are starting to turn black.  :neutral:

When I googled it, I read somewhere that Cayenne peppers may turn this color when you get too much rain, but they might still be OK.  With all the rain we've been getting down here, it makes sense.

PaRENZn.jpg

I cut one up into a bowl of curry, and I'm not dead.  I guess I'll keep 'em as long as they're still firm and not mushy.

AJ Drew said:
They will be fine, but I do want to suggest better drainage.  On mulch, probably a good thing they weren't mulched because the ground will dry out faster.  I mulch heavy on the rows and not in between.  In between dries out fast.  The rows keep in the moisture.  Kind of a trade off but here in my area this is the first wet year in a while. 

If you have a spot in your yard that slants downhill, that might be a better place next year.  Maybe it is just your pictures but the area looks very flat.  Not great for peppers.
The soil drains very well, it's 1/3 vermiculite 1/3 peat moss 1/3 compost.

I gave them nutes and I also sprayed them down with copper fungicide.  I have a bad case of Septoria leaf spot on my maters from all the rain, so I figured I may as well give the peppers some too encase it is bacterial leaf spot causing the issues.

June came in as Birmingham's second wettest June on record, go figure.

I've had all kinds of fruit that have turned strange colors.  My rule is, if it smells fine and doesn't look rotted, eat it! 

Back