• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking 5.0's Sous Vide sucks and you should feel bad BGE Smoked Brisket

To celebrate my move to my new house, and to reward the people who helped me lug all my shit there I am doing a smoke this weekend.  So was cruising Costco before i hit the butcher and sure enough they had packer briskets ... and absolutely mammoth ones in stock.  Picked one up and will be smoking starting tomorrow early afternoon and with this size probably running 20-24 hours.

3.69/lb is not bad and Costco's meat is always great.  Anwyays

16.16lb packer brisket.  First pics.  Will add more tomorrow when I trim, rub and start the smoke.

19260611_10213174529143025_8390518539170915141_n.jpg

19113667_10213174529423032_1173832153227070530_n.jpg

MikeUSMC said:
Hell yeah! I totally agree! My Costco doesn't stock briskets over 4 freakin' pounds. I have to go to an actual butcher shop for mine. Nice score, cheap too! (At least that's cheap here ;) )

Ya this was a pretty bitching deal.  I normally get them for 4.50 a pound but from a local butcher.  Dude is super cool so I don't mind spending the extra, and he always hooks me up with fat back trimmings when I do sausages.  

Just couldnt pass up this deal though lol

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice. Good mix for briskie too is pecan and oak if you have any. 

Ya dont have much in the way of Oak chunks around here.  I am going to space 2 chunks of hickory about 6" from the center of the firebox to hopefully get them to fire off about 60 minutes into the smoke, just to get some of that bittery goodness, but not too much since its a long one

Ill have about 6 - 8 good size chunks of pecan in and around the firebox in the Egg

MikeUSMC said:
Man, you've got me drooling, waiting for pics...

Making burnt ends outta the point, by any chance? [read: YOU SHOULD] ;)

Depends on how long the cook goes lol, i need to have everything off of the smoker by 11:30am.  I have a bowling tournament to be at, so will use that 5 hours for the rest in a cooler with the brisket wrapped and covered with towels.

If she finishes before 9am then i will absolutely do burnt ends heh.

Back