• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What causes this stem problem?

X32nL8ul.jpg

Had this happen to a few of my young plants this year, its as if something was constricting the stem right at the level where it meets dirt. none of them survived so when I saw it happening with this one I just yanked it out and photographed it (it was a late seed acquisition that I was growing just for kicks). if its just something that happens randomly then oh well, but if its something I can prevent then I would like to do something about it... lost 3 ghost seedlings to this and another 3 or 4 habaneros. 

Looks like the stem just broke at one point because of wind, weight etc... Could try burying those that break deeper in the soil encouraging roots grow above that point of failure..

Yeah it is damping off. It usually happens to seedlings but it can happen to the plant at any age before the stem goes woody. Just be careful with watering and use less dense growing medium. 

I use a fan 12 hrs a day, have a spongy potting soil/worm castings medium, and def dont over water, but this fraking season has been so damn humid...

Back