• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why am I getting mini Ghost peppers??

I have two golden ghost pepper plants that are producing mini peppers. One plant was started by seed in December, and the other plant was a plant I brought in for the winter and nursed back to health. Both plants seem to be healthy and really full. They have a ton of peppers growing all over them. they are both in #5 nursery pots. Could it be all the rain and colder temps that we had last month?? Any ideas??

MINI PEPPERS.jpg

I got the seeds from Johnnys seeds last year.  They sold them as Golden ghost peppers. I just checked their sight and they still call them golden Ghost, but in the description it now says Ghost like. Either way they are way smaller from the 8 pounds I got from them last year.

I have two bolivian rainbow plants (annum) one is in a large container and the other in a 1L pot, both were germinated at the same time

The one in the 1L pot has tiny little peppers and the one in the big pot has normal ones

I wouldn't worry about it. Does it have the Bhut kick or is it around jab level of heat. I've grown many different Bhuts and some are typical pheno and some are not. I grew a bunch that looked just like those pods. Got the seeds from CPI. The had the heat, though they didn't look anything like a Bhut (ghost). I tend to agree with D3 on the early pods theory. I usually don't save seeds from early pods. Get different pheno's than later in the year.

But you can't beat a fresh pod, no matter what they look like.

OCD Chilehead said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Does it have the Bhut kick or is it around jab level of heat. I've grown many different Bhuts and some are typical pheno and some are not. I grew a bunch that looked just like those pods. Got the seeds from CPI. The had the heat, though they didn't look anything like a Bhut (ghost). I tend to agree with D3 on the early pods theory. I usually don't save seeds from early pods. Get different pheno's than later in the year.

But you can't beat a fresh pod, no matter what they look like.

Full grown they have the Bhut kick, these little mini ones were very sweet and had a slight heat kick. I checked the plants the other day and it seems that they are starting to grow normal size pods. Must have been an issue with the early pods.

Did the peppers start growing before the plants got big? Sometimes this happens to me when I leave the plants in the solo cups for a little too long and they start pushing out flowers. If I leave them on and then repot, the energy ends up being split between vegetative growth and the pepper fruit, and the fruit always are smaller than the late season ones. Either way, it's still kind of cool. 

Back