• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bhuter's 2017 Glog

Hello everybody!

This is my first glog and I know I'm really late with it. I've been growing superhots for a few years, but have never kept a record. So here it goes!

2017 Growlist

Red BBG7 (Ocho Cinco 2014)
BOC (Mine)
Black Naga (Mine)
Chocolate Lava (mpicante)
7 Pot Caramel (PL 2014)
Bishop's Crown
JPGS (Seacowboy 2014)
JRGS (Joefish 2014)
Chocolate Moruga Brain (Butch T)
Brown Moruga (PL)
Brazilian Moruga (Butch T)
BTR (Butch T)
CPR (Butch T)
Red Primo (Troy Primeaux 2014)
Yellow Primo (WM 2015)
CGN 21500 (WM 2015)
Peach Bhut (WM 2015)
Aji Fantasy Yellow (WM 2015)
PDN (WM 2015)
Pimenta Leopard (96Strat)
Aji Jobito (Hogleg)
Goat's Weed (Hogleg)
SB7J (Pex Peppers 2014)
Red Brainstrain (WM)
Brown Rocoto (TGCM)
Aji Limo Rojo (TGCM)
Aji Oro (TGCM)
C. Chacoense (WM)
Pumpkin Bubblegum (Ford's Thanks to BSH)
Big Black Mama x Caramel 7 Pot Madballz F2 (Mine)

I started my seeds in early February and continued starting seeds until April...just couldn't stop starting new varieties...again. I always take the cheap route and use plain old Miracle-Gro potting soil. It has always worked for me. I also start my seeds in paper towels then transfer them straight to 4 inch pots (I thought they were 3 inch, but they're 4). I use a 125w CFL for lighting and I usually grow around 30 plants. Here's the beginning.

z8fIW8B.jpg

I had crappy soil before this pic and some of these are bare-root transplants. But I did lose one...Chocolate Primo. It just looked funky after transplant.

Here they were just before plant out. Pic taken on May 4...with the addition of a few new seedlings and maters.

zGupmrR.jpg

Peppers planted out May 10.

Xz5EcpT.jpg

Then I ran into the bugs. The flippin' bugs. Judging by the damage, I'm guessing broad mites.

Kzw3c8h.jpg

But I soaped then neemed a couple times and things are looking up. I'll have to get a pic of what that plant (Goatsweed) looks like now. This is the latest pic with the addition of the nursery veggies.

PJRBb8u.jpg

That'll probably do it for now. Thanks for stopping by!

-Adam

Good luck getting your pest issue squared away, Adam.
Insecticidal soap and Neem are a potent combination!

Aside from that, your grow looks good.
Welcome to the glogosphere! 

PaulG said:
Good luck getting your pest issue squared away, Adam.
Insecticidal soap and Neem are a potent combination!

Aside from that, your grow looks good.
Welcome to the glogosphere! 
Thank you very much, Paul! Neem has proven to be an excellent product in the short time that I've used it. Things are looking a lot better, even though they're still getting chewed on. I think it's grasshoppers, now. Here are a couple pics of that same Goatsweed plant.

3ehxzKR.jpg

The top six inches or so have grown since I started treating.

QJMXhMd.jpg

Here's one of the better looking plants. Yellow Primo.

hLGJq9E.jpg

lookin good Adam  :clap:

a lot of heat in the first half of that list and a couple others with some serious fire down the list too  :onfire:    

I'm kickin myself in the butt for not starting a glog this year (I had one the previous two years) i have a little less time for that each year it seems :mope:
life happens, and next thing you know another week has gone by, and then another...   (Finally got a camera phone with a nice camera too :lol: )
 This is still a hobby for me, and when the hail storm we got tore up my biggest and best babies and all my overwinters that i'd babied all winter i was devastated :(
Overall i got really lucky though considering. (though many of my plants look ugly and have torn leaves, i think they will pull through)
Mostly just torn, shredded leaves, a few snapped stems. But nothing as bad as member Peter_L  here on THP  who is near me, and was hit by the same storm :(
His whole garden got stripped of leaves, and many stems snapped  :tear:

great Glog start Adam, and an inspiration to those(me and maybe others) who felt it was too late in the year to start a Glog 

best of luck to you and your grow (though it's looking like you don't need luck ;) )

:cheers:
G.I.P.

Thank you very much, Bicycle! I got my seeds from Wicked Mike a couple of years ago and this is my first try with them as well. If they're anything like the red, we're in business!

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
lookin good Adam  :clap:

a lot of heat in the first half of that list and a couple others with some serious fire down the list too  :onfire:    

I'm kickin myself in the butt for not starting a glog this year (I had one the previous two years) i have a little less time for that each year it seems :mope:
life happens, and next thing you know another week has gone by, and then another...   (Finally got a camera phone with a nice camera too :lol: )
 This is still a hobby for me, and when the hail storm we got tore up my biggest and best babies and all my overwinters that i'd babied all winter i was devastated :(
Overall i got really lucky though considering. (though many of my plants look ugly and have torn leaves, i think they will pull through)
Mostly just torn, shredded leaves, a few snapped stems. But nothing as bad as member Peter_L  here on THP  who is near me, and was hit by the same storm :(
His whole garden got stripped of leaves, and many stems snapped  :tear:

great Glog start Adam, and an inspiration to those(me and maybe others) who felt it was too late in the year to start a Glog 

best of luck to you and your grow (though it's looking like you don't need luck ;) )

G.I.P.
Thank you, G.I.P.! I think I saw posts of that hail storm you speak of. Clearing the streets with front-end loaders, I believe. Man, what a crusher! We hardly get hail and that's enough to irk me. It causes so much damage. I'm glad things are improving for you from that. Thank you for your words of encouragement!

-Adam

Thank you, Peter!

hogleg said:
Looking goood Adam!!  :dance:

p.s. I'd chop that Goatweeds head off or its gonna have a stature much like Kevin Durant  :lol:

I would't be surprised if it got to 7ft if you dont.
Lmao! Wow! Thanks, Hogleg! That's good to know. It DOES grow pretty quickly...and slender. How far down should I chop it? Should I cut where the bad growth is? Around the second ring of the tomato cage? It also appears that Neem strips the hair off of Goatsweed. Lol. It was much furrier.

Bhuter said:
Thank you, Peter!

Lmao! Wow! Thanks, Hogleg! That's good to know. It DOES grow pretty quickly...and slender. How far down should I chop it? Should I cut where the bad growth is? Around the second ring of the tomato cage? It also appears that Neem strips the hair off of Goatsweed. Lol. It was much furrier.

I would take about 4" off the top. If it continues to stretch after that, I would top it one more time to. You've got to top my particular strain of goatsweed if you want side branches. Otherwise they get real lanky.  It and my onza amarillo's are the only thing I top due to there structure.

Neem, Nair? Same difference :rofl:

hogleg said:

I would take about 4" off the top. If it continues to stretch after that, I would top it one more time to. You've got to top my particular strain of goatsweed if you want side branches. Otherwise they get real lanky.  It and my onza amarillo's are the only thing I top due to there structure.

I've got two of that Onza Amarillo growing this year, 1 of the 2  got topped by the Hail storm, the other wasn't big enough to go out yet and survived comfortably indoors under 8,four foot T8's next to the 4 plants of Serrano x Bulgarian carrot I'm nursing along hoping to have 1 or more good pheno to choose from for seed selection this season :party:   :dance:

@Hogleg, i have still yet to grow that awesome Goatsweed you grew that I enjoyed so much :D 

hogleg said:

It must be the same because it did the same thing to my Pubes! Thank you for the info. I'll get to topping as soon as I get off my lazy ar$e.

Here are a few plants that are slowly recovering from mite damage.

JPGS

l9QA1sa.jpg

JRGS

cOwYcSx.jpg

Brown Rocoto

qyZ2rUo.jpg

CGN 21500

u1kwjDc.jpg

One of my first pods. Aji Fantasy Yellow

9IzdA0f.jpg

Devv said:
Well done Adam!

Yeah, once ya put em out all the bad guys have to give em a taste.

You'll be rolling in pods before you know it. Good luck!
Thank you very much, Scott! You're right...just about all of the nuisance pests have made an appearance this year. Last year was my first year with any bugs and they were BMSB (Brown Marmorated Stink Bug). I thought that they would be the only pest problem I'd have. Boy, was I wrong. I did see the first Stink Bug in the garden today, but it was on the squash. Although, I killed it so quickly it could've been a squash bug. Lol.

I also should add to my glog the fertilizer I'm using. I've chosen to use Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 for the first time. I usually just use Miracle-Gro. I also put a little Hydrated Lime in each hole at plant out then side dress with the Hydrated Lime about 4-5 weeks later. First time using the fish, I used half strength. Then I used full strength a week later. I see no adverse effects from using it yet. All of my plants are in ground, so how often should I feed and what strength?

Looks like your through the worst. Plants are on the rebound for sure.

Can't go wrong with the Alaskan. I did the same thing many years ago. Now I feel like a mad scientist sometimes with all the goodies that are out there. Alaskan is good on the wallet. Lower numbers help from accidental burn.

Good luck with your grow. I like the ground cover. Looks like it is perforated.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks like your through the worst. Plants are on the rebound for sure.

Can't go wrong with the Alaskan. I did the same thing many years ago. Now I feel like a mad scientist sometimes with all the goodies that are out there. Alaskan is good on the wallet. Lower numbers help from accidental burn.

Good luck with your grow. I like the ground cover. Looks like it is perforated.
Thank you, Chuck! I know I should get some kelp/seaweed ferts as well. Hopefully I'll find it around here soon. I love the ground cover as well. I've been using it for 4 years and I'll never NOT use it. No weeding and it holds the moisture in. It IS perforated. Moisture & air get through and no weeds grow...except at the base of the plants. No big deal. No mold or fungus underneath, either. I used "Weed Block" by Easy Gardener the first year, but found its cheaper sister at Walmart. It's called "Weed Proof" and a roll is 75' x 3' and only costs around $16.

I need to make a couple corrections. The first one is the Aji Limo Rojo. I forgot to take it off of my list. Unfortunately, that variety didn't make it into the garden. The pot I used was so tiny that it just didn't grow. The second correction is that I am NOT using hydrated lime...I'm using Garden Lime. I just looked at the bag and it says something about hydrangea leaves on the front...I guess that's where I got the "Hydrated" from.

In other news, I snapped a pic of my first C. Pubescens flower: Aji Oro.

W3KDenp.jpg

Back