•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards ACCEPTING ENTRIES!

Photo

Red flags of "newbie" seed scammers on THP

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Casper

Casper

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:02 AM

otherwise i'll just say support our vendors! juanitospeppers, pepperlover, whitehotpeppers, pepperbymail, texascreek, joynershotpeppers, sicmanshotpepepers all are active here.

I AGREE!!!!

Juanitospeppers sent me some great starts real late last year, as well pepperlover sent me some great stuff as well, and back when I first came online here the whole community (including I believe  joynershotpeppers) was super supportive.  

I really hope that most of us are here for the love of growing, consuming, and learning about these peppers.  If it wasn't for the kindness of the folks in this community I would not have had the chance to grow, taste, or understand the world of hot peppers.  I bought some pods, some starts, "won" some seeds, and really got a chance to explore different hot peppers.  

I will say to newbies collecting seeds and headed into the growing season next year,  don't be greedy, you can only grow so many plants...  When I started my apartment was full of small cups, and was a toasty 90 degrees all the time, because of the generosity of the folks in this community.  IT SURE WAS FUN THOUGH.

Thank you folks!  

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#42 NotchaMommas

NotchaMommas

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

Good advice(since im a "newbie") this does make it hard to find people to chat with.

#43 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 41,596 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:27 PM

Nah

#44 Philderbeest

Philderbeest

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

It's a tough one when we're dealing with human nature, the majority of us are so enthusiastic about our hobby we want to share with others. I obviously am not a prolific poster but I have shared seeds with someone at work and also plants when this first years grow got out of control lol. Really easy when you know who you're dealing with. If somebody I didn't know PM'd me for free seeds that would raise a red flag though. I have bought from Pepperlover and WhiteHotPeppers online and also vendors here- 96strat and TexasHotPeppers. All have been phenomenal service, however, if price is the driving factor, the forum vendors are so inexpensive that, if people can't afford seeds from these guys, they won't even be able to pay for compost! I went absolutely wild in this first year and probably have enough seeds to last until I die (if I didn't want to try anything new......ahem).
I didn't spend more on this cache than a new console game.

***is searching for [INSERT SEED TYPE HERE]

#45 Voodoo 6

Voodoo 6

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • aka:Voodoo

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:01 AM

I kick seeds out all the time at my cost but ya never know. It's a grind getting accepted but ya just keep plugging along. Even vendors you buy from year after year don't remember you.

Edited by Voodoo 6, 13 August 2017 - 01:09 AM.

#46 Voodoo 6

Voodoo 6

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • aka:Voodoo

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:24 AM

Anyone who has searched enough to find THP is alright in my book

#47 BSH

BSH

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • aka:BrooksideSuperHots

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

Just found this thread and finally understand why some of my PMs were never answered. I fit a lot of the criteria mentioned at the start of this thread, except I really was prepared to give people cash for certain varieties, even pay for the shipping. I messaged one guy on here for a few varieties (I had less than 100 posts) that I just could not find anywhere else and offered to pay for the seeds...I get it. Lots of scam artists around but every once in a while, that person might just be for real, but no way to tell. Like voodoo 6, if someone asks me for seeds, I send them out, expecting nothing in return. It's too bad people ruin a genuine request by taking advantage of generous members on here.

#48 CAPCOM

CAPCOM

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,985 posts
  • aka:Shaggy

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Don't sell to or buy from KingChili he ripped me off for a box of pods and then months later tried to scam off someone else. I called him on it, he pretended like he didn't owe me anything so I pulled up the paypal records of nothing being received and the multiple payment reminders I sent him. 

He then promised to send payment, week later made up an excuse how  his gf spent  all his money, he was in jail, ect ect ect. Needless to say. Never recieved payment from him. 

Wow, he was on a seed train but never responded when it was his turn so he got passed. Already had one hijacked by a free loader.

Rev 22:17..............CHILI-CON / CHILE-CON is pending

#49 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,585 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Wow, he was on a seed train but never responded when it was his turn so he got passed. Already had one hijacked by a free loader.

Dodged a bullet....train on that one  :rofl: 

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

#50 CAPCOM

CAPCOM

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,985 posts
  • aka:Shaggy

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

The idea that ppl would come on here just to scam seeds is frigging crazy, in my opinion. Seeds are cheeeeep. Supercheap. The other things that this forum offers, in terms of information, support, and networking? All that shit is FREE, but it's far more valuable than seeds....

Seeds are in essence cheap. Until you consider the expense it takes to pay for lighting, equipment and general supplies to start them in the winter and maintain them til plant out. feed, water, inoculate,(whatever applies). And then add in your time. Its all encompassed in what we do, but it places a value on all our related final product.

I have to this day never sold a single seed and I would rather send seed to someone who is really going to appreciate what they get and grow them or share them in the same way they got them.

I have even sent seed across the big pond when someone was looking for one specific variety. Its nice to hear back from them from time to time to know if the grow went as planned and in some cases its the only way you know they got the seed in the first place.

I tend to place a higher value on pepper seed than others because, they make everything on this forum including the forum possible among other activities I am involved.

I guess the bottom line is, If I am going to burn my fingers digging out every last seed from a pod, they better be going to a true in the making chili head, and not a fraud.

Edited by CAPCOM, 07 October 2017 - 04:28 PM.

Rev 22:17..............CHILI-CON / CHILE-CON is pending

#51 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:46 PM

Oh, to be sure, seeds are valuable.  But, monetarily, they are incredibly cheap to buy, in terms of ordering a sack of seeds.  Yes, it usually takes a lot to produce them, and whoever grows them is going to invest a lot of time, effort, and resources to see the plant through.  But, seed scammers don´t get any of that by scamming.  They just get some seeds, which sell for like $3 for a baggie of ten to twenty seeds.

Seeds are in essence cheap. Until you consider the expense it takes to pay for lighting, equipment and general supplies to start them in the winter and maintain them til plant out. feed, water, inoculate,(whatever applies). And then add in your time. Its all encompassed in what we do, but it places a value on all our related final product.

I have to this day never sold a single seed and I would rather send seed to someone who is really going to appreciate what they get and grow them or share them in the same way they got them.

I have even sent seed across the big pond when someone was looking for one specific variety. Its nice to hear back from them from time to time to know if the grow went as planned and in some cases its the only way you know they got the seed in the first place.

I tend to place a higher value on pepper seed than others because, they make everything on this forum including the forum possible among other activities I am involved.

I guess the bottom line is, If I am going to burn my fingers digging out every last seed from a pod, they better be going to a true in the making chili head, and not a fraud.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#52 Greenguru

Greenguru

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • aka:Greenguru

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

Sharing is fun ,

most times the seeds are miss handled or just not worth the time, it is also important to know the method/process that the seeds are saved and are not miss handled and or stored correct 

#53 Sauced

Sauced

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:38 AM

Im new to this forum and growing g peppers.
Over the last 6 months Ive invested many hours and dollars into creating four very special hot sauces that I currently make for friends and family. Since perfecting them, I decided to dive into growing some special pepper plants...with a whole lot of learning. Since Ive started getting one method down during winter Ive been searching for the next small plant to buy, not being interested in starting from seeds myself. I realize it saves $$$, if space and time allow.
To my point, Im new and always quick to learn news ways to do what I love as a hobby. Asking for seeds without letting people know you is like the person that spends months at the same offramp asking for dollars, yet can make more by working.
When one is passionate about themselves, it shows and credibility follows.
But, are seeds so special that they are guarded or scammed so often?
Again, Im no professional, Im just passionate about my hot sauce and growing my couple plants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests