Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,113 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Update:

well the plants are mostly doing good, but it seems i got some aphids anyway so it's time for the backup plan Ladybugs 

take the dormant lady bugs out of the refrigerator and leave on the plant table for an hour and they are active and ready to go 

dAI5qCn.jpg

3,000 Ladybugs

Epf8jU0.jpg

apply (dump some out) ladybugs to affected plants then apply remaining ladybugs to the other plants 

Wl7CDyw.jpg

you get some bugs, and you get some bugs, everybody gets ladybugs!

p6llEHc.jpg

a few minutes later these bugs that looked dead in the refrigerator are  now actively searching for food :)

and now what i am most excited to show you in this update...

there is still snow from the last snowfall outside, and the wife insisted on taking a pic of the harvest in the snow :)

so i give you...

CVw27uf.jpg

December 10th in Minnesnowta harvest  :dance:  :dance:

even my mother in-law is getting excited about peppers  :rolleyes:  sort of 

she cut open a bell pepper the other day and thought it looked angry  :lol: so she sent me this pic 

t5F5rnq.jpg

:lol:

updates will continue to be slow and infrequent as there is not much to update, unless anyone wants to see my Amaryllis' growing ?

They are all growing quickly under the T5's and should be blooming before the end of January :)

The christmas cactus is in bloom, and the bonchi are still doing well 

thanks for stopping by and checking out my glog.

:cheers:

:onfire:  

#183 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,416 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

Awesome update, but I've gotta ask, how (if at all) are you containing them indoors? :shocked:
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#184 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

lol, ladybug overload, wish I had some.

#185 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,113 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

Awesome update, but I've gotta ask, how (if at all) are you containing them indoors? :shocked:

LMAO  :rofl:  :rofl:

there is no way she would let me do this "indoors"  :rofl:

my overwinters are in the back of the Garage  is has natural gas heating in the shop in the back.

the back half is separated from the front, it used to be a woodshop and i've divided the shop with pandaplastic using up only half of that space and creating a much smaller "room" to have to heat up for the plants. 

sadly the ladybugs eventually die when they have no aphids left to eat and need to be swept up  :(
simple enough to do in an enclosed space with a concrete floor.  (i could also see them working very well in a growtent or even a small greenhouse)

I still prefer this method to stronger insecticides. I got most of them with the azamax before bringing the plants in.

Aphids are pretty difficult to completely eliminate naturally indoors, though the ladybugs were very efficient in this closed space last year.

I even found some ladybug eggs and ladybug larvae on my plants not long after i unleashed them on the aphids last year  :hell:

i'm hoping that these ladybugs, a $16 investment into getting rid of the aphids will be worth it. 

my wife is very nice at letting me just do my thing when it comes to my :crazy: pepper hobby/obsession 

she even tries to get involved, though i know she doesn't care about all the different kinds like i do :lol:

but, i'm pretty sure she would be very unhappy if i let 3,000 ladybugs go in the house. LMAO

the kitty would prob love it though  :rofl:

:onfire:  

#186 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,317 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

Caught up.

Stunned.

Speechless.

Every Pod a Victory!  Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques