57 replies to this topic

#21 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,842 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

Woodford Reserve is another great American Bourbon. So is Knob Creek.

(Damn. I haven't been out to the bar with the boys in a looooong time...)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#22 Ozzy2001

Ozzy2001

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,663 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Yeah I love Woodford too.

#23 Grass Snake

Grass Snake

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

I like to listen to sad Country songs with my Whiskey.

Personally, I'll eat a pig's ass if they cook it right.   -CB4-

#24 Rymerpt

Rymerpt

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,922 posts
  • aka:Ryme

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

Wow people, thanks for all the great info!!!!
THANK YOU JESUS. PEPPER PEOPLE ROCK!!!!

#25 Shorerider

Shorerider

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 2,315 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

I've been a huge fan of Jameson for a looooooong time (*almost* talked my wife into naming my daughter Jameson. So close ;) ). Especially their 12 year aged one. It's only like $10-15 more than their "regular" version, but MUCH smoother.

They (Jameson) also make a great bottle called "Redbreast," which I like even better than the regular 12 year stuff. Link: https://shop.jameson...ast-12-year-old

My wife and I went to Ireland on our honeymoon back in '09. The first night we were there, we did a tour (followed by a fancy dinner) at the Jameson distillery in Dublin. (Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm using my phone to take pics of the actual photographs)
1DDD594D-8CBE-458B-96EF-1D623BF88BD9_zps

DA916169-3AD0-4705-88F4-38D75180B9AC_zps

Great tour! I wish I'd paid more attention to the process, but I was "imbibing" quite a bit on that trip ;) I did come home with a bottle of their "Distillery Reserve" though. Had my name put on the bottle, cost like $200. Worth it, in my opinion, because that's the ONLY place in the world you can get it; AT the distillery. They don't sell it online either. They gave everyone a complimentary rocks glass of this after the tour, but I still haven't opened this bottle
E22FB7A9-D1A0-4E77-8303-5BA0ED13D2CD_zps

That trip was so much fun! Sorry for the rambling! Thanks for putting up with me, haha :cheers:

Keep calm and "hhwhiskey" on, everybody!
:cheers:

I couldn't agree more Mike, I too am a big Jameson fan and really appreciate the smoothness of it. If anything, it goes down too well.  :P

That personalized bottle is awesome, something I wouldn't be opening in a hurry either. Thanks for sharing.

SR.

Non venomous...hmmmmm... in Australia??? Even the ladybugs are venomous...The surgeons in Australia go straight to the scalpel, Yeah mate we gotta cut this arm off, we don't know what bit ya....might be a hairy caterpillar, might be a snow snake..sheila has some pufferfish grilling on the BBQ, no worries mate....get you fixed up....

#26 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

If anything, it goes down too well.  :P

Haha! In one word, "YUP!"

Your Honor, I present Exhibit A, in the case of "Mike (after a fight with his ex) + 15 bottles of Beck's + full "Fifth" of Jameson vs. Telephone Pole":

2DDAADEA-9C3E-42D2-9C49-90294EC4D243_zps

Of course, the pole I hit had a transformer and all sorts of other electrical boxes and shit on it. Cost me almost $15,000. On the flip side, the cop told me that if I wasn't drunk, I'd probably be dead. I was completely asleep at the wheel, but the cops estimated I was going about 70mph. Jameson saved my life ;)

(This post is meant to be light-hearted. I DO NOT CONDONE DRUNK DRIVING. Moral of the story: if you drink and drive, you might end up killing yourself, or even worse, someone else. Thank God no one was injured that night)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."

#27 Ashen

Ashen

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:16 AM

Woodford Reserve is another great American Bourbon. So is Knob Creek.

(Damn. I haven't been out to the bar with the boys in a looooong time...)

nice to know.. my wife is always asking me what a good bourbon would be for her drinks and recipes but the extent of my Bourbon knowledge is running a bar out of Makers Mark   in Cincinnati 25 odd yrs ago.  .

I was at a Finishing trade show  with the owner   of the company  I was powder coating for at the time.

We ended up drinking with the guys who were there from Remmington, and after we killed the MM I know we moved on to Jose,  everything after that was a bit fuzzy. 

A wise man never  argues with a skunk, a mule, or a cook.

#28 JayT

JayT

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 20,167 posts
  • aka:Bunny Commander
  • (x7)
  • (x1)

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:22 AM

Bourbon: Elijah Craig, Scotch: Glenmorangie: Sherry wood finished, Irish: Jameson 12yr old.

#29 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:27 AM

I forgot about this one too. Haven't opened it, never tasted it, but it looks like it'd be a good Bourbon. My buddy gave (made) me this as a wedding gift. He had to hollow out the book to get the bottle to fit, but I think it's cool as hell :)

AED838A5-D820-4BA9-BC3D-1D336F77FD84_zps

C34D265F-1F7C-4B65-867D-2A9D9CF883D1_zps

With this note on the inside cover:
7A656EA4-2491-4B1C-9323-DEADDF8830A4_zps

Thanks, Chuck!
:rofl:

#30 Mandrake

Mandrake

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:34 AM

Best Irish: Bushmills 16yrs Single Malt! 

Best Scottish: Lagavulin 16 yrs Single Malt

#31 FrogFan

FrogFan

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

The older I get, the more I enjoy the taste of whiskey (or is it whisky?).  I'm partial to single-malt Scotch, but that's pretty expensive stuff, so for day-to-day drinking, I go with rye.  I'm also partial to some of the good rums, too.  They're sweeter than whiskey, but quite tasty to drink neat.  Depending on my mood, I might splash just a bit of water into my whiskey, but never ice.  That ruins the flavor.

As far as single-malt Scotch goes, I prefer Islay malts, especially Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 15.  Last time I bought either, a bottle went for around $100, give or take.  Islay malts have a very smokey, peaty, distinctive flavor, and as someone mentioned, they pair outstandingly well with a good cigar.  Single-malt scotch whisky comes from several different regions of Scotland.  The more popular regions are Highland, Speyside, and Islay, in my experience, but there are a couple other producing regions as well.

Rye whiskey has had quite a resurgence in popularity over the last 5 or 10 years.  It's really hard to get anything aged more than 4 years because demand has been so high that it doesn't make economic sense for distillers to continue aging it.  Recently, though, I've seen 6-year rye from Templeton and Russell.  Each of these is tasty.  I like to look for rye that is 100 proof and 100 percent rye.  Avoid ryes that aren't made from only rye grain.  To me, they don't taste nearly as good as 100 percent rye.  Right now, I have a bottle of Knob Creek rye in my cupboard.  It's a  4-year, 100 percent rye that is affordable and has great rye flavor.  Another of my favorites is Rittenhouse  100, which is also quite affordable as well as tasty.  The Russell and Templeton 6-years are good, but a notch more expensive.  Someone mentioned Whistle Pig.  Very good, but very expensive.  A bottle of Rittenhouse 100 runs about $30, while a bottle of Whistle Pig will run at least $70.

Cheers!

#32 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

^ Whistlepig! Forgot about that stuff! Really good!

#33 Ozzy2001

Ozzy2001

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,663 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Traded some beer to land this recently. Not sure when I'll open though. Tempted to just sell it. IMG_6869.JPG

#34 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

This my favorite all time bourbon. I used to get bottles of it 12 years ago for $80. Now they go for $500.

Attached Thumbnails

• black-maple-hill-premium-small-batch-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-usa-10155010.jpg

#35 Bayoubulldog

Bayoubulldog

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

Slightly stale thread, but if you're interested, try Jameson Caskmates IPA edition. Random find that I've fallen in love with.

Scotch: Johnnie Walker BLUE label or the Mccallan

Irish: redbreast or Jameson caskmates

Bourbon: there are so many.

Japanese: Yamazaki

Look up 101 whiskies to try before you die. (it makes for a good Christmas tradition for the wife... Mine just opens and buys a bottle)

Edited by Bayoubulldog, 16 January 2018 - 06:52 PM.

#36 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

IMG_6029.JPG

#37 GRUMPA

GRUMPA

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

3C5F63E7-7E3E-40BF-9162-AE74F6F25BCD.jpeg

It's all about the Spice!

#38 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,616 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

Been into bourbons for the last couple years and here are three of my favs:

Elmer T Lee - made by master distiller of the Buffalo Trace distillery.  Can't hardly find it anymore, last I saw it was up around $40 a bottle and very worth it.

American Prairie - made by High West distillery.  Great on its own, also great in cocktails.  Don't sleep on their Rendezvous Rye either.

Straight Edge - from the Splinter Group.  A blended whiskey that's been aged in wine barrels.  Complex and warm with a nice finish.

My normal go to is Bulleit, but the above three are special imo.  

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#39 Ghaleon

Ghaleon

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

Gentleman's Jack is great but I only bought one bottle. I could tell I'd get spoiled so I stick to old number 7.

#40 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:55 PM

IMG_7803.JPG

hhhhwiskey hhhhwwednesday.

No glass.

No ice.

Straight from the bottle.

Because.

Holidays.

And.

hhhhwednesday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests