• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Flower Drop

Hi guys! I have a quick question about flower dropping. I have a Tscorpian plant 5hat has been flowering for about a month or so. At first it had one or two flowers. Now it has dozens. I have an indoor hydro grow in a 5 gallon DWC. PH is 6. Temps are around 75. Nutes are good as well. I am thinking it is because they aren't pollinating. Does anyone have any advice on how to pollinate the plant? I've tried a fan and shaking and no pods yet. Currently getting 17 hours of light.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

willard3 said:
Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.
Biggest cause for newbies is #11.

Bluteid said:
Anybody have any idea? I think they aren't being pollinated. Any tips or advice?
Dude the guy above posted all the top reasons.

Pepper plants are self pollinators and lack of pollination is rarely the problem unless you are growing them in a vacuum lol. Just a little vibration will cause the flower to pollinate itself.

Bluteid said:
Anybody have any idea? I think they aren't being pollinated. Any tips or advice?

If you're really worried about pollination, just give the flowers a good fingering. Gently of course. No one likes it rough. 

You could also get a qtip and really give it to the flower. Again, gently. 

Another option would be to get a vibra  toothbrush or any vibrating object to shake the plant so the pollen can distribute. 

Justosmo said:
Dude the guy above posted all the top reasons.

Pepper plants are self pollinators and lack of pollination is rarely the problem unless you are growing them in a vacuum lol. Just a little vibration will cause the flower to pollinate itself.
Okay dude. Maybe if you read my original post shows that none of that applies to my plant. It's INDOOR with A.C.. Nutes are good, PH is good. All controlled in a hydro set up. See what I mean? Learn to read before you pop an attitude.

JustDucky said:

If you're really worried about pollination, just give the flowers a good fingering. Gently of course. No one likes it rough. 

You could also get a qtip and really give it to the flower. Again, gently. 

Another option would be to get a vibra  toothbrush or any vibrating object to shake the plant so the pollen can distribute. 
Thank you very much. Both of my plants are indoor hydro set-ups so everything is very controlled. I've tried the shake and fan method but I will give the toothbrush a try! Thank you for good feed back! I'll let you know how it goes. That is for not being toxic like the other two.

CAPCOM said:
Instead of insinuating I am a "newbie" why don't you read the post and see that I was worried about pollination from the beginning. I joined this forum to pursue my passion of growing. Not to deal with passive aggressive assholes like you.

Bluteid said:
Instead of insinuating I am a "newbie" why don't you read the post and see that I was worried about pollination from the beginning. I joined this forum to pursue my passion of growing. Not to deal with passive aggressive assholes like you.

:crazy:

200_s.gif

Bluteid said:
If you don't have anything constructive to say you can stay quite.

I can see how you may have taken my reply out of context. It was not intended as it may have come across. For that I apologize. I never assume any new members are newbies.
My post was intended as just a general statement and nothing more.

As for my 2nd response,"HUH?"

Willard3 had just provided an in depth list of reasons why your plants may be dropping flowers and your very next post was one of total disregard for the info.

CAPCOM said:

I can see how you may have taken my reply out of context. It was not intended as it may have come across. For that I apologize. I never assume any new members are newbies.
My post was intended as just a general statement and nothing more.

As for my 2nd response,"HUH?"

Willard3 had just provided an in depth list of reasons why your plants may be dropping flowers and your very next post was one of total disregard for the info.

Thank you for the reply. We can put this misunderstanding behind us it wasn't a disregard. I answered the majority of the questions in the original post. I also stressed I thought it was pollination. So the blanket check list helped only slightly. I wanted more information on pollination techniques for indoor plants from more experienced growers than myself since that is what I deduced is the problem with the help of my.lost and my general research on the forum and google. :)

Bluteid said:
Okay dude. Maybe if you read my original post shows that none of that applies to my plant. It's INDOOR with A.C.. Nutes are good, PH is good. All controlled in a hydro set up. See what I mean? Learn to read before you pop an attitude.
Calm down man. Number 11 on that list is your problem. The chance that is is lack of pollination is slim to none. Literally the plant will throw pods when it is ready.

Justosmo said:
Calm down man. Number 11 on that list is your problem. The chance that is is lack of pollination is slim to none. Literally the plant will throw pods when it is ready.
Thanks but your opinion isn't wanted. This is an environment of learning and growth. I know it's a pollination issue. So you can crawl back to the bridge you came from under:D

I would bump up the temp if possible. Pepper plants will produce flowers at almost any temp the plant will grow in but setting pods is a whole different story. I think 75° is a little on the cool side. I know my plants in the past have done exactly as you have described and when temps bumped up a bit they went nuts.

Back