• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jays Chocolate Ghost Scorpion plants

I have two plants growing that are both supposed to be Jays chocolate ghost scorpions. And through my brief research I have found that the JCGS are still not stabilized per Fords fiery foods.
http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com/Jays-chocolate-ghostscorpion

I got the seed from a very reliable source so seed mix up while always a possibility is a remote thought.

20170625_100040.jpg

20170625_100020.jpg

What do you think? A rouge cross, a throw back, something new?

I would guess that the second plant is a cross with something darker, like Chiero Roxa, CGN21500, or PDN. Or maybe even an annuum like Black Pearl. Whatever it might be, I really like the coloration on that plant. It looks similar to the Pink Tigers I grew a couple of years ago. Pretty cool.  :cool:

jedisushi06 said:
I'm guessing it's some accidental cross.
A cross that produces chocolate pods would be fine by me as long as the other produces true JCGS pods.

BlackFatalii said:
I would guess that the second plant is a cross with something darker, like Chiero Roxa, CGN21500, or PDN. Or maybe even an annuum like Black Pearl. Whatever it might be, I really like the coloration on that plant. It looks similar to the Pink Tigers I grew a couple of years ago. Pretty cool.  :cool:
Yeah, most of the darker colored plants you mentioned including the Yakis and many, many more do have a visual appeal. However, I hope that's not the case. I have grown many of the aforementioned and didn't find the heat / flavor profiles all that appealing and dont see how they would improve on a chocolate super hot. The only thing I found appealing about the PDN were notes of a slight nuttiness.
That would be something I would like to get into a chocolate chinense.

I have pods on the green plant and nothing yet on the purple. The pods are not as gnarly as the peach variety I have grown in the past. but heat and flavor come first.

Pic to follow

Sounds interesting.I'm growing Peach Ghost WM strain this year. It's pretty early, and some of the pods already look scary. I'm excited to see how they look when they ripen. Keep us posted on how these progress. If they turn out impressive, do you know if your source will be selling seeds? I'm assuming not since it's still unstable.

CAPCOM said:
Its a bust.

both this plant and my Yakki brown are pimenta de nydes

It is nerve racking to grow super hots. I got some Reapers growing and one plant has Reaper looking pods while the other has more elongated and less bumpy looking pods. I guess we all have to realize that there could be a issue with cross pollination with super hot hybrids. Sorry to hear its a bust though.

hotpepperguy said:

It is nerve racking to grow super hots. I got some Reapers growing and one plant has Reaper looking pods while the other has more elongated and less bumpy looking pods. I guess we all have to realize that there could be a issue with cross pollination with super hot hybrids. Sorry to hear its a bust though.

Your plant is probably just fine. Not all pods on every plant develop as a poster quality pod yet they are still the product of the variety. In my case, they are not even close in variety. Pulling them has crossed my mind.

CAPCOM said:

Your plant is probably just fine. Not all pods on every plant develop as a poster quality pod yet they are still the product of the variety. In my case, they are not even close in variety. Pulling them has crossed my mind.

Yeah they probably are both Reapers but for some reason i got really nervous about it ;) I wish i had got more seedlings now but i plan on keep the seeds from most of my pods. As for your plants i would just keep them and let them grow. Its still nice to keep a good amount of peppers on hand, even if its not the heat level your looking for.

What do you do to preserve them? I usually just make hot sauces or i chop them up really fine in a food processor, pack them into mason jars with some salt, vinegar and a little lime juice.

hotpepperguy said:

Yeah they probably are both Reapers but for some reason i got really nervous about it ;) I wish i had got more seedlings now but i plan on keep the seeds from most of my pods. As for your plants i would just keep them and let them grow. Its still nice to keep a good amount of peppers on hand, even if its not the heat level your looking for.

What do you do to preserve them? I usually just make hot sauces or i chop them up really fine in a food processor, pack them into mason jars with some salt, vinegar and a little lime juice.

Really have no need for PDN as I am primarily growing chocolates from now on.
I use fresh while applicable and the dry, vac pac/freeze and or powder.

I could still be wrong about this. Not being one to make drastic decisions on a whim, these plants are still alive.
I will draw attention to the one tagged as CJGS.

20170710_154911.jpg

It did not start green and then change color hinting at PDN. however the pod shape is dissimilar to any PDNs I have grown in the past.

Back