• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Shelf stable recipes

Hi all, looking for a simple and food safe recipe for hot sauce. I'm planning on using 5oz bottles, I want to make a product that has a low enough ph to be shelf stable for a decent amount of time. I have a ph tester that I'm not too confident in (it's made for wine) so I hope to find a recipe I can be confident has a safe ph level without the need for testing.

I'm not looking for anything extraordinary. I'd like the peppers to be the primary flavor. I have Fish peppers, jalapeño peppers, 7 pot peppers, and fatalli peppers. I can make a sauce with all or anyone of these. I've read Making hot sauce 101 post, but haven't found a basic recipe for what I'm looking to do. Any links or recipes to share?

for guaranteed approved recipes, search university extension services recipe pages.  They have salsa and hot sauce recipes.  Substitute your peppers for what thye list and as long as the quantities are close to the recipe, it should be good to go. 

There are a ton of recipes at pepperfool.com and they seem to change/update periodically.  Just keep in mind most aren't lab tested for pH etc, so use common sense.

Have Fun!
SL

Back