• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Custom hybrid rasberry sauce. Any ideas?

VsFL9Nal.jpg

I have managed to save the strain of black raspberry that the family who owned our property before us paid a shitload of money to have hybridized and tailored to our growing conditions...  this is the first pint I have gotten in years and I want to make a sauce with them... I have tons more to go pick but I want to do something special with the first ones... any good raspberry hot sauce ideas?

Cool I just posted a beer with black raspberries so this is the second time I've heard of them and all in one day.

agave or molasses (or a mix of both,  more agave than molasses), balsamic vinegar, roasted garlic (just a TINY bit) chipotle (powder, not in adobo sauce) or other red chile....apple juice if it needs more liquid.....

have fun! 
SL

peppamang said:
Those black raspberries are beautiful! Any back story as to how/why the previous owners did that? 
Here is a post i made in another topic explaining what i know... But the short answer is that they had more money than they knew what to do with.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:11 PM
so I have a VERRY unique strain of black raspberry that has been growing in my yard organically for more than twice as long than ive been alive (I'm 36). when I was a little kid we used to keep like an acre of just a berry patch but after my dad got sick and then died there was no one around to take care of them and the lawn service just decided to mow them all down one day ( I could have killed a bunny I was so mad). well ive moved back into the house a few years ago to take care of it and the yard and stuff and was able to save a few plants back then and have them growing in spots that are impossible to get a mower to now, my question is as follows....

ive tried cloning them but the methods I remember from previous cloning projects didn't work, Ive tried saving the seeds and replanting them but that didn't work. does anyone know anything about cloning raspberry plants from healthy established plants? or do I just need to fence off an area and let them do their thing for 10 years? if someone can give me a successful method to replicate these plants quickly I will mail them a big bottle of the hot sauce I plan on making with it...

these are not just plants I can go buy replacements for btw, the family that owned the property before me actually commissioned someone from Europe in the early 1900s to live here and adapt them to our climate and he lived on the grounds and kept crossing berry plants for more than a decade until he got it right. they taste like nothing else I can find, and I want to share them with the world but the plants are making that difficult.

I've been doing some sauces with a Mango Puree from Costco as the liquid. It adds a nice fruity flavor but isn't too sweet, I think it would pair well with these. I've used strawberries and blueberries. I like to use a fruity pepper with the fruity sauces, something like a fatali or lemon drop hab, etc...

Onions and garlic work great in fruit sauce you intend to be savory. So don't be scared. Just ask yourself. Am I going to be putting this on fish, pork, and chicken? Or cheesecake and ice cream? Or both? If you are going the savory route you wouldn't want it on the desserts, but if the sweet route, you could use it on both, but the savory would have more depth of flavor. Hope that helps.

I'd suggest red chipotle over green (I can never remember the mexican names) to better support the fruit flavour, rather than adding any nutty tones.
Honey sounds like a great idea if you want it sweet, consider mexican or birch varieties to compliment the dark and smokey chilli better. Or maple syrup I guess.
Molassess I'm less sure on but, if Raspberry Chipotle Tabasco is anything to go by, the less sweet pomegranite molassess definitely adds richness and depth to the fruit content.
I'd say pick a milder flavoured vinegar, personally. Or go down the route of an acidic fruit but lime feels like it would clash. Perhaps the above-mentioned orange?

Or somebody said mango. I wouldn't suggest mango with any of that other stuff but a smooth, sweet mango and citrus base (lemon? lime? pineapple? your call really), with raspberry and stong red chilli (thinking Hab but it's up to you) for a tart contrast, could make for an amazing fruit sauce. Sweetening with a lighter honey (or golden or agave syrup) may well work out very nicely and I've recently found out just how nice a touch of vanilla for smoother flavour can be.

Hope this helps.

spicefreak said:
I'd suggest red chipotle over green (I can never remember the mexican names) to better support the fruit flavour, rather than adding any nutty tones.
Honey sounds like a great idea if you want it sweet, consider mexican or birch varieties to compliment the dark and smokey chilli better. Or maple syrup I guess.
Molassess I'm less sure on but, if Raspberry Chipotle Tabasco is anything to go by, the less sweet pomegranite molassess definitely adds richness and depth to the fruit content.
I'd say pick a milder flavoured vinegar, personally. Or go down the route of an acidic fruit but lime feels like it would clash. Perhaps the above-mentioned orange?

Or somebody said mango. I wouldn't suggest mango with any of that other stuff but a smooth, sweet mango and citrus base (lemon? lime? pineapple? your call really), with raspberry and stong red chilli (thinking Hab but it's up to you) for a tart contrast, could make for an amazing fruit sauce. Sweetening with a lighter honey (or golden or agave syrup) may well work out very nicely and I've recently found out just how nice a touch of vanilla for smoother flavour can be.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestions. Just for your future reference a chipotle chili is just a smoke dried over ripened jalepeno, not supposed to make them out of green ones tho for some reason... And hell yeah on the vanilla, i made an experimental batch from smoked jolokias with coffee and some vanilla extract and i totally love it. Will be putting it in my future batches for sure. Not too keen on mango though, totally not trying that.

If going for the sweeter route, roasted garlic and roasted or carmelized onions totally work!  I'd not go with fresh garlic or onions as it is too strong/sharp for the flavor it sounds like you are looking for.  But using roasted/carmelized garlic and onion...with restraint.....Oh YEA!

Back