•  

Photo

Custom hybrid rasberry sauce. Any ideas?

black rasberry hot sauce

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 dub_sauces

dub_sauces

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • aka:Dubs

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

If going for the sweeter route, roasted garlic and roasted or carmelized onions totally work!  I'd not go with fresh garlic or onions as it is too strong/sharp for the flavor it sounds like you are looking for.  But using roasted/carmelized garlic and onion...with restraint.....Oh YEA!

Sounds yummy. Would you use white or yellow onions... Im thinking yellows would be sweeter

"There is nothing more helpless nor irresponsible nor depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge... "  -Hunter S Thompson

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,956 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

I think basic yellow/browns are sweeter than whites.  But you could also kick it up with some Walla Walla Sweets or Vidalias!  More expensive, but if you only need 1-2 for a small batch, I'd go for it.

And since you are working with black raspberries, you could also consider purple/red onions.  They tend to get grey colored when cooked, but if using in a dark colored sauce, they could work better than yellow onions.

Also consider Shallots.  the flavor of both garlic and onion in one.  Definitely caramelized.....!

PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#23 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,956 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

DANG!  Now I'm jonesing for a raspberry chipotle with caramelized onions and garlic sauce!!!!!!!

See what you started?!?!???  :lol:  It probably doesn't help that I'm starving right now~~~~  :lol:

PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#24 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,288 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

Ann, you're awesome. So many great ideas and helpful input all the time!

That is all, carry on. :)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#25 dub_sauces

dub_sauces

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • aka:Dubs

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

I think basic yellow/browns are sweeter than whites.  But you could also kick it up with some Walla Walla Sweets or Vidalias!  More expensive, but if you only need 1-2 for a small batch, I'd go for it.

And since you are working with black raspberries, you could also consider purple/red onions.  They tend to get grey colored when cooked, but if using in a dark colored sauce, they could work better than yellow onions.

Also consider Shallots.  the flavor of both garlic and onion in one.  Definitely caramelized.....!

Shallots. Duh. Now why didnt i think of that? Thanks for the brainstorm :)

"There is nothing more helpless nor irresponsible nor depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge... "  -Hunter S Thompson

#26 spicefreak

spicefreak

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Just for your future reference a chipotle chili is just a smoke dried over ripened jalepeno, not supposed to make them out of green ones tho for some reason...

Interesting. I know for a fact that they do make them out of both. One's called "Meco" and the other "Morita" but I can never remember which.

If going for the sweeter route, roasted garlic and roasted or carmelized onions totally work!  I'd not go with fresh garlic or onions as it is too strong/sharp for the flavor it sounds like you are looking for.  But using roasted/carmelized garlic and onion...with restraint.....Oh YEA!

I wouldn't do that with the fruit version but it would definitely go with the Chipotle one.

#27 PodHopper

PodHopper

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

VsFL9Nal.jpg

I have managed to save the strain of black raspberry that the family who owned our property before us paid a shitload of money to have hybridized and tailored to our growing conditions...  this is the first pint I have gotten in years and I want to make a sauce with them... I have tons more to go pick but I want to do something special with the first ones... any good raspberry hot sauce ideas?

Do they have a hollow core like a raspberry?  It's hard to tell from the pic.  looks like half hollow core like raspberry and a bit of a white core like a blackberry?  Do they have thorns?

Edited by PodHopper, 27 June 2017 - 09:14 AM.

#28 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

Raspberry Chipolte Jam...oh man would that be good on a bagel with cream cheese. Simple to make if you've made jelly/jam. Just add a little chipotle powder to the jam recipe. :D

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 27 June 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#29 BCBG

BCBG

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

Did you ever clobe any?
You could do it by burying the tip in a pot of soil. Or you can bury a whole cane. https://www.gardenin...raspberries.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black rasberry, hot sauce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests