• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

danmurphy's sauces

Hey All,

Just joined today but I'm trying out a small quick sauce. Figure if I start by posting this from sauce one - It'll get pretty awesome after a few years. I plan on trying out fermented sauces but for now I'm just starting with a super quick sauce.

4 habs
8 garlic cloves
1 c cider vinegar
1 c chopped carrots
1 nectarine
tsp salt 
tsp coriander
cracked pepper
large handful of fresh cilantro

Simplified the process a ton just to get one under my belt. Put everything in the processor until minced, into a saucepan, simmered super low for ten mins until onions went clear, into the blender, then mesh strainer then fine strainer. Turned out decent - nothing to judge it against yet hah. I was feeling like a brighter tasting sauce - this hit the mark but being my first sauce it was a bit low on heat - I'll definitley have to add more heat next time.

What would adding white wine instead of vinegar do to a sauce like this? Adding it before cooking vs after cooking? 

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts/insights!

Depends on the sauce but i prefer Korean brown rice vinegar for most stuff. Cane vinegar is a ok sweeter replacement for the plain old distilled and its fairly cheap. White wine, chardonnay and champagne vinegar can be really good too. Roland sells a descent dry white wine vinegar that you could probably use on nearly anything but its a little expensive. I get a liter of it for around $4 when its on sale.

70536__30340_zoom.png

BTW dont forget the lime juice. It can make a world of difference especially when using a very neutral flavor vinegar. Only add it AFTER cooking for best results.

Thanks ShowMeDa Sauce, I've never gotten so nuanced with my vinegar usage. Looking forward to heading down to H-Mart and the local Co-Op to check out their selection. Going to pick up some key limes and meyer lemons, Appreciate the direction to add afterwards, I'd felt like adding that during would lose some of the fresh bright flavor of the citrus. What about zesting - does that add any acid/effect pH at all?

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Depends on the sauce but i prefer Korean brown rice vinegar for most stuff. Cane vinegar is a ok sweeter replacement for the plain old distilled and its fairly cheap. White wine, chardonnay and champagne vinegar can be really good too. Roland sells a descent dry white wine vinegar that you could probably use on nearly anything but its a little expensive. I get a liter of it for around $4 when its on sale.

BTW dont forget the lime juice. It can make a world of difference especially when using a very neutral flavor vinegar. Only add it AFTER cooking for best results.

Caaaant wait! A friend of mine works at grillo's pickles and I'm looking forward to getting those guys take on some sauces over the years.

MikeUSMC said:
And after that, what strangers think ;)

So just keep variating eh? haha sounds good. Yeah, I gotta find some friends that like the enjoyable suffering of heat first haha.

Hawaiianero said:
The answer to all your questions is "Yes, Do That" :party:
All kidding aside, if you like it then you did it right.
The next challenge is to see what your friends think.

If you go to H-Mart look for Korean DBL strength apple cider vinegar. They should have it. Sometimes you can find DBL strength brown rice vinegar also. You may need someone to help you who is fluent in Korean but they sometimes have "2x" on the label Look for Assi or Ottogi brands because they are the most commonly found.

Ive never used zest for sauce so i cant help you with that. Use fresh lemon grass if you want lemon flavor and pretty much no pH change. Its cheap and super easy to grow/clone. Its a common item in Thailand but most Asian markets should have it.

Cut off a tiny bit on the bottom of a stalk (1/4"). Cut off the top only leaving about 8-10" total. Put that in a glass with about an inch of unclorinated water. In about a week it will sprout roots and a new shoot will come out of the top. Once it has some roots and a nice new shoot, plant it....You will have plenty of lemon grass in a few months. :D

MikeUSMC said:
And after that, what strangers think ;)

danmurphysays said:
A friend of mine works at grillo's pickles and I'm looking forward to getting those guys take on some sauces over the years.
What I meant by that was; you're more likely to get honest reviews from people who don't know you vs. people who know and care about you saying, "It's perfect! I love it" who might not want to hurt your feelings or break your spirit.

Scott of "Lucky Dog Hot Sauce" (a member here who makes killer 'professional' sauces) used to go to picnics or cookouts and secretly drop a bottle of his sauce on the table, then try to eavesdrop (for lack of a better word here) to see what people were saying about it. Great idea, since nobody knew HE made it ;)

All my friends and family tell me my sauces are "perfect." I know they're not perfect, but thanks for the flattery, haha. I've sent bottles out to members here for feedback, and have had some great constructive criticism: "Great sauce, but next time, maybe try a little X,Y, or Z." HONEST feedback! Tell your buddy at the pickle place to put a bottle in the break room and not tell anybody, and see what happens :)

It's like when I played a (miserable) season of baseball as a kid, haha. My mother always said I did an "awesome job!" Mom, I strike out 9/10 times, and I bat 9th in the order. I'm not an idiot. Go ask coach what he HONESTLY thinks..... ;)

Sauce #2

I had the day off yesterday so i decided to take a tiki drink i used to make at the bar and use it to inspire some hot sauce.

6 Ghost
2 Jaleps
1 Mango
1 Apple
1 Red Onion
2 Limes (both juice and zest)
1 c ACV
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
10 Cardamom Pods
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Coriander
3 g Carbonized Coconut ( to make it black ) :)

It's pretty damn good - I've been wanting to use carbonized coconut for a bit for color. It needs more heat though! 10 ghost next time and a little less on the cardamom. I also should bust out the tomato strainer or food mill for this one as it is a bit thick.

53b55cac85d4a5bbd28a1b7a90cd6bc3.jpg

a6e7bf0085688b21ec2be010c8f377b1.jpg

dbd43cecc46e19e8cfb2378159edfdf2.jpg

da0e5936deb258283ff735defe0c83ad.jpg

aaf6244d8158cb1acb85e976bd6e99cf.jpg

d8d7838a57fba8ae99b2c6c5b526eef4.jpg

10fd775d0ffcc2488e1e746e4393ddf8.jpg

5fc25786577aa1ab3a5a4a3233ecccfc.jpg

85d7caa0f8c08ab144e02620bc530562.jpg

I think I'll make a traditional hot sauce next and start fermenting while I tweak this recipe a bit. Going to hand it off to some friends for their break room and see what people think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Show Me Da Sauce, used the korean DBL here that stuff is awesome! I really can't wait to try it on some fries - im a vinegar on fries kinda guy. Zest works really well at the end - I just sanitized the skins quickly with a soap and then microplaned and stirred it about two mins before bottling - kept that nice bright lime nose. Will see how it lasts and how it keeps. And if you can see in my first picture I got a ghost plant and some basil and mint yesterday, will have to grab some lemon grass for a future sauce! I am a huge tomato sauce guy and have lots of recipes in that area, so basil is always in the house. 

ShowMeDaSauce said:
If you go to H-Mart look for Korean DBL strength apple cider vinegar. They should have it. Sometimes you can find DBL strength brown rice vinegar also. You may need someone to help you who is fluent in Korean but they sometimes have "2x" on the label Look for Assi or Ottogi brands because they are the most commonly found.

Ive never used zest for sauce so i cant help you with that. Use fresh lemon grass if you want lemon flavor and pretty much no pH change. Its cheap and super easy to grow/clone. Its a common item in Thailand but most Asian markets should have it.

Cut off a tiny bit on the bottom of a stalk (1/4"). Cut off the top only leaving about 8-10" total. Put that in a glass with about an inch of unclorinated water. In about a week it will sprout roots and a new shoot will come out of the top. Once it has some roots and a nice new shoot, plant it....You will have plenty of lemon grass in a few months. :D

Mike USMC yes! going to try that out - Ive only had one of Scott's sauces but he is a true SAUCE BOSS. Think it was the pink label. Anyway, I studied furniture design quite heavily for many years and one of the things eames and saarinen used to do was to have a cocktail party and have a 'buck' or test model of the chair there and not mention it. just let it blend in with the rest of the hodgepodge of chairs at the party and wait for people to comment, see how they sit, etc. great analogy here and it hit home. the 4th is coming up and im headed to two parties - gonna sneak this in and see what people think. gotta get a label going to make it look official and then eavesdrop. awesome!

MikeUSMC said:
   What I meant by that was; you're more likely to get honest reviews from people who don't know you vs. people who know and care about you saying, "It's perfect! I love it" who might not want to hurt your feelings or break your spirit.

Scott of "Lucky Dog Hot Sauce" (a member here who makes killer 'professional' sauces) used to go to picnics or cookouts and secretly drop a bottle of his sauce on the table, then try to eavesdrop (for lack of a better word here) to see what people were saying about it. Great idea, since nobody knew HE made it ;)

All my friends and family tell me my sauces are "perfect." I know they're not perfect, but thanks for the flattery, haha. I've sent bottles out to members here for feedback, and have had some great constructive criticism: "Great sauce, but next time, maybe try a little X,Y, or Z." HONEST feedback! Tell your buddy at the pickle place to put a bottle in the break room and not tell anybody, and see what happens :)

It's like when I played a (miserable) season of baseball as a kid, haha. My mother always said I did an "awesome job!" Mom, I strike out 9/10 times, and I bat 9th in the order. I'm not an idiot. Go ask coach what he HONESTLY thinks..... ;)

Ive used V8 Spicy in hot sauce. It worked amazingly well for a mildish serrano/habanero/chipotle hot sauce. One of my "tasters" raved about it so i gave her almost the whole quart of hot sauce.

I get Assi DBL strength ACV and brown rice vinegar every time i see it at the market. The 2x ACV has excellent flavor. Ottogi brand is really good also. They probably both come from the same factory. :D

Scott is definitely a SauceBoss and I'm glad to see MikeUSMC telling his sampling story. 

For the sample sauce at the picnic, I would suggest not making an official looking label.  You don't want people to get the impression that it was professionally produced.  Make up a name for it, put a hand written label on the bottle with the ingredients as they would be listed on a 'real' hot sauce (allergies are a serious issue, you don't want anyone getting into trouble because they have an allergy to onions....) and a simple Heat indicator- (Heat- 4/10)  keeping in mind that most of use here on THP have a tolerance about double of GenPop. 

That will be one thing you will find out with the eavesdropping.  If someone looks at the 4/10 and run screaming for the garden hose from one bite...might want to up it to 6/10 heat level. 

Have Fun!
SL

SL

You rock - yes i think surprising them with it will be the best bet. I'll evaluate heat and see if they enjoy the flavor profile. Have a friend of mine ask what it tastes like to get an honest answer. I can't wait to try out some of y o u r recipes. You're a local hero in these forums!

danmurphysays said:
SL

You rock - yes i think surprising them with it will be the best bet. I'll evaluate heat and see if they enjoy the flavor profile. Have a friend of mine ask what it tastes like to get an honest answer. I can't wait to try out some of y o u r recipes. You're a local hero in these forums!

well, thanks, but I'm no one special.  I've just been playing around longer and had more time to make more mistakes~~~ :lol:

Having a secret accomplice to ask people about the sauce is a good idea.  Let us know how it goes!

SL

OH, and on the heat level-
I met Jay of Burns&McCoy (one of our members here on THP) at the Portland Hot Sauce Expo last summer and I asked for his mildest sauce.  I'd rate it about heat 3/10, and I have a pretty low tolerance after an illness ruined my taste buds.  Their label listed it as (I think!) 6/10.  and his comments were the same...the general public does not have much of a heat tolerance.  BTW- that Rojo sauce was really yummy!

Thanks salsalady - Was away on a little vaca for the fourth - my sauce got rated by the public (both in a breakroom and at two fourth events) at a 7/10 by the normal people lol. 

salsalady said:
OH, and on the heat level-
I met Jay of Burns&McCoy (one of our members here on THP) at the Portland Hot Sauce Expo last summer and I asked for his mildest sauce.  I'd rate it about heat 3/10, and I have a pretty low tolerance after an illness ruined my taste buds.  Their label listed it as (I think!) 6/10.  and his comments were the same...the general public does not have much of a heat tolerance.  BTW- that Rojo sauce was really yummy!

dub_sauces nice one! yeah the aromatics of the zest are something im interested in. thanks!
dub_sauces said:
Before i make a sauce i pickle the peppers and onions for a month or so. Its just a tradional pickling recipe but i also add lemon and lime zest to the pickling liquid. It adds something i cant put my finger on, but i cant imagine the final product without it any more.

Back