• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Beautiful colors but my God that 7 Pot is hot

CCN 7 Pot Yellow compared to a CCN Aji Cito
g3QaLPg.jpg

I got 2 more ripe 7 Pots today. They ripen super fast because it didnt even notice them turning a couple days ago. One was shaped like a teenie tiny bell pepper so i had to cut it open. Really cool smell i thought.... so... what the hell, i cut off a piece a little bigger than a grain of long rice.

Mmm sweet and delicious for about 2 seconds then BAM!!!! TO the moon Alice!!!! The intense fire in my mouth subsided quickly though and now its just numb after a few minutes....Loved the flavor and aroma though...VERY cool pepper just way past my heat tolerance.

Awesome! I'm getting too impatient waiting to try my 7-Pot Yellow Brainstrains. They have been green forever, no sign of ripening. But I'm sure they'll sneak up on me one of these days.

How do you like the Aji Cito? I'm growing one this year, but the plant was in a bad spot, so it'll be a while before I start getting pods.
I've read somewhere, maybe a few places(can't remember where off the top of my head), that it's one of the hottest baccatum varieties. But the my seeds were saved from a big box of fresh peppers I bought from TexasHotPeppers last year, and my notes say that they had a great flavor but weren't very hot at all(compared to the other Ajis I tried: Crystal, Omnicolor, Lemon Drop.

It was weird seeing that on a couple of seed sites after trying them.
....but I don't know, I was sampling a lot of peppers all at once, a good amount were superhots...maybe I was just numb.

Jubnat said:
Awesome! I'm getting too impatient waiting to try my 7-Pot Yellow Brainstrains. They have been green forever, no sign of ripening. But I'm sure they'll sneak up on me one of these days.

Yep.  Sometimes they take forever.

Green
Green
Slightly darker area in one tiny spot near the stem

"Yay, it's turning!  I'll have a ripe pod any day now!"

Same
Same

"Um..."

*One Month Later*
HELLO I AM FULLY RIPE TODAY OUT OF ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE!

Jubnat said:

How do you like the Aji Cito? I'm growing one this year, but the plant was in a bad spot, so it'll be a while before I start getting pods.
I've read somewhere, maybe a few places(can't remember where off the top of my head), that it's one of the hottest baccatum varieties. But the my seeds were saved from a big box of fresh peppers I bought from TexasHotPeppers last year, and my notes say that they had a great flavor but weren't very hot at all(compared to the other Ajis I tried: Crystal, Omnicolor, Lemon Drop.

It was weird seeing that on a couple of seed sites after trying them.
....but I don't know, I was sampling a lot of peppers all at once, a good amount were superhots...maybe I was just numb.

The Aji Cito i ate was hotter than the lemon drops i had last year, less "lemony" but sweeter. This year i have lemon drops from CCN and plants i grew from last years seeds. The odd part is that they look almost nothing alike except the flowers. Leaves on the ones i grew from seed are much larger. The plants from last years seeds are just starting to bloom. The CCN seedlings have a few pods but they are all green.

One Cito is covered in green pods and the other in a more shaded spot has a few more than my lemon drops. My 7 Pot yellow is also bursting with green pods but ive gotten 3 ripe ones already.

The Aji Cito and Aji Habanero I grew were very mild compared to the Aji Lemon Drops I grow.

As for the 7 pot yellow, the burgundy is by far my favorite all around. 

If i eat just the tip off of either a lemon drop or Aji Cito without getting any of the seeds, neither one is that hot to me. Really mild actually, mostly just sweet and fruity.

I would adore the flavor of the 7 Pot if the heat was toned way down. Im sure that is the hottest pod ive ever tasted and i just ate a tiny sliver of it. I think 1 in a big pot of yellow curry chicken might be pushing my limit but it will be a damn fine pot of curry. :D Offset some of the heat with a bit of pineapple...Oh yeah...I bet thats nice.

Pineapple/Mango and 7 Pot wing sauce....Oh yes!!!!

7 Pot teriyaki!!!....Now thats an idea!!!

ShowMeDaSauce said:

I would adore the flavor of the 7 Pot if the heat was toned way down. Im sure that is the hottest pod ive ever tasted and i just ate a tiny sliver of it. I think 1 in a big pot of yellow curry chicken might be pushing my limit but it will be a damn fine pot of curry. :D Offset some of the heat with a bit of pineapple...Oh yeah...I bet thats nice.

I love Yellow Supers, but even those yellow ones can be crazy  :crazy:   :hot:

I grew a yellow Jobito x Bbg7 out last year  (seeds from whitehotpeppers) that might be right up your alley :)
I thought they had that nice yellow 7 pot flavor with 1/3 or less the heat of yellow Bbg7  

3hY2CDS.jpg

6QKLsdF.jpg

lZO0GHf.jpg

2jTeeq9.jpg

one of the tastiest hot peppers i grew last year  :drooling:

This is kinda crazy. I checked the 7 Pot lastnite before a light rain...nada. I go out and check this morning and i have another nearly ripe 7 Pot. I also have 2 more Citos but i knew about those. CCN's website and many others say both these peppers are late to very late producers....Well they dont appear to be late for me and they turn super fast.

Im very impressed with both of these peppers from CCN

yuZORB3.jpg

Mystere said:
BUT...is the alcohol idea possible?
Yeah, it's possible.... you'd probably want more than just peppers in the grist, as i doubt if there's enough fermentable sugars in chiles to make booze from just chiles*, but there's a lot of "craft" beer being produced with chile peppers in the bill.  The ones I've tried, the chiles definitely come through and i guess they were pretty good brews, but they aren't my thing.  I guess I want my cap in my food, and just some regular all-grain suds to wash the meal down with.  

*TBH, my brewing experience is 100% with beer.  Maybe one could find enough sugars to distill some hard liquor out of chiles.... but i bet you'd start with a looooot of peppers, and up with a small amount of booze.

I googled it right quick; most peppery liquor is the result of infusing the booze with chiles; it seems like most don't involves peppers in the mash or even the ferment....  but now i'm curious.  I hope other folks with more experience will chime in.

I got plants from CCN too; I'm very impressed with the plants, for sure.  Your Yella 7 looks awesome.
ShowMeDaSauce said:
CCN 7 Pot Yellow compared to a CCN Aji Cito
g3QaLPg.jpg

I got 2 more ripe 7 Pots today. They ripen super fast because it didnt even notice them turning a couple days ago. One was shaped like a teenie tiny bell pepper so i had to cut it open. Really cool smell i thought.... so... what the hell, i cut off a piece a little bigger than a grain of long rice.

Mmm sweet and delicious for about 2 seconds then BAM!!!! TO the moon Alice!!!! The intense fire in my mouth subsided quickly though and now its just numb after a few minutes....Loved the flavor and aroma though...VERY cool pepper just way past my heat tolerance.

Back