• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting scratch built grow lights

has anyone ever scratch built led grow lights using the 10 or 20 watt led cobs off ebay, the cheap ones from china, they have some in the 6500k range on the color spectrum, and upwards of  1000 lumen on 10 watts and 1600 to 1800 on the 20 watt versions.

Jbssuperhotpeppers said:
has anyone ever scratch built led grow lights using the 10 or 20 watt led cobs off ebay, the cheap ones from china, they have some in the 6500k range on the color spectrum, and upwards of  1000 lumen on 10 watts and 1600 to 1800 on the 20 watt versions.
there are a couple people here that have built led plant lights from scratch using COB's like you are describing 
I can't remember where i saw them here, but i know it was here on THP and there was more than one DIY guide

maybe start here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58028-how-to-build-an-led-growlight/?hl=%2Bled+%2Bdiy+%2Bcob

:cheers:

I have to ask the questiion though. Why are you wanting to use 10-20W cob's. After you sort out drivers, psu and cooling it would have been cheaper getting E27 or bayonet 6500k bulbs from the hardware store. My experience is you need to go 50W plus for all the effort and driverless chips are so much easier (bottom two pics).

I have a couple of DIY chips around the house

10W Grow

iingsmey.wo5.jpg

50W Grow
murj51sx.s4s.jpg

200W 6500k
5s23qq1k.vny.jpg

Jbssuperhotpeppers said:
I have not even thought of the driverless chips I will have to look into those.

Really useful and easy to use. Just be aware that most of them have noticeable flicker so will cause eyestrain if it's for a working light. Grow lights no problem ...

yeah what I am looking to do is find something in the 6500k ranger that can be used and set up a 10x10 grow tent and start my plants in december, this year alone I had a 100 plants ended up putting 75 in the ground, and gave the rest to my father.

100sq ft. You gonna need a fair amount of lighting for that. I'm trying to keep mine at minimum 10W led per sq ft and that's with full spectrum. 6500k you may need around 15-20W. Not sure if it's scalable (2000w seems massive for led - 20w x 100sqft)

yeah I am actually re thinking things now, I am thinking just do like I did last year, and start my plants inside and transfer out side to a hoop house as soon as it warms up a little usually around march.

Back