• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Overwintering

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding overwintering. I have a couple of chili plants that are ripening right now, and I grow indoors in a grow room since the climate in Sweden is cold and I don't have a grow house. I have lights and everything is going perfect so far, I have a steady temperature around 21-23 degrees C. My question is basically what happens with the chili plants if I keep the light and temperature settings the same all year round.
During winter in december are they still going to be able to produce fruits? Is this bad for the plant? What would be optimal for me in order to overwinter the plants? Should I lower the temperature and the light?
Or can I leave the plant with the same settings year round producing year round chilis?
What is the purpose of lowering the temperature and so on during winter?

Thank you very much, sorry for all questions, it's my first year growing chilis.

Welcome Vike22

I'd be interested in this also. I have just set up my grow room to overwinter my chilies and have a test cayenne that I planted in April. It's the middle of winter now and the plant thinks it's summer. Full of flowers and already got some pods.

I would think that if you could keep a constant temperature and light (or at least simulate a spring to summer to spring to summer, etc. transition) that you could keep producing all year round with no adverse affect on the plants. Just keep feeding and watering and they should be good.

KAOS said:
Welcome Vike22

I'd be interested in this also. I have just set up my grow room to overwinter my chilies and have a test cayenne that I planted in April. It's the middle of winter now and the plant thinks it's summer. Full of flowers and already got some pods.

I would think that if you could keep a constant temperature and light (or at least simulate a spring to summer to spring to summer, etc. transition) that you could keep producing all year round with no adverse affect on the plants. Just keep feeding and watering and they should be good.

Hey Kaos, thanks for your reply. Exactly that was my thoughts as well, that would be ideal if that really works and the plant can produce all year round.

`
 Peppers as Perennials

But in frost-free areas, peppers are happy to behave like the perennials they truly are.

If you want the peppers to actively grow indoors, provide four fluorescent bulbs and, if possible, light from a bright window. Fertilize the plants every two weeks. Return the peppers outside two weeks after the typical last frost date. They will produce their second season of peppers far more quickly than first-year seedlings.

vike22 said:
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding overwintering. I have a couple of chili plants that are ripening right now, and I grow indoors in a grow room since the climate in Sweden is cold and I don't have a grow house. I have lights and everything is going perfect so far, I have a steady temperature around 21-23 degrees C. My question is basically what happens with the chili plants if I keep the light and temperature settings the same all year round.
During winter in december are they still going to be able to produce fruits? Is this bad for the plant? What would be optimal for me in order to overwinter the plants? Should I lower the temperature and the light?
Or can I leave the plant with the same settings year round producing year round chilis?
What is the purpose of lowering the temperature and so on during winter?

Thank you very much, sorry for all questions, it's my first year growing chilis.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
 Peppers as Perennials

But in frost-free areas, peppers are happy to behave like the perennials they truly are.

If you want the peppers to actively grow indoors, provide four fluorescent bulbs and, if possible, light from a bright window. Fertilize the plants every two weeks. Return the peppers outside two weeks after the typical last frost date. They will produce their second season of peppers far more quickly than first-year seedlings.

What do you mean? I already have light and all sorted out. Do you mean it's possible to grow them all year round indoors?

Ive had fruit in January, keep their optimal temps and light and they will be ok, bugs are the only enemy you have to watch out.

dragonsfire said:
Ive had fruit in January, keep their optimal temps and light and they will be ok, bugs are the only enemy you have to watch out.

Thanks for you answer, that sounds perfect. Do you think this method leads to that the plant produce less peppers than if I would let it overwinter cold and then start growing again next spring? Or do you think I will get the same or even bigger amount of peppers next summer comparing to this summer (2nd year)?

Thanks!!

As long as it has its food to grow I dont see a problem, they are perennials as said, cant really compare since last winder Aphids wiped out my plants.

dragonsfire said:
As long as it has its food to grow I dont see a problem, they are perennials as said, cant really compare since last winder Aphids wiped out my plants.

I see, thanks, I'll definitely try to keep some plants then, I have some hungarian hot wax that produce delicious peppers, might try to keep those to get some winter chilis.

Yup because of the natural enemies, so unless you got some aphid wasps that are hibernating in the soil it can be a problem. If insects do show up then using tape around the stem/branches works well. Someone posted this technique last year in using tape, works well and a catcher.

dragonsfire said:
Yup because of the natural enemies, so unless you got some aphid wasps that are hibernating in the soil it can be a problem. If insects do show up then using tape around the stem/branches works well. Someone posted this technique last year in using tape, works well and a catcher.

Back