• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Carolina Reaper Pods

First of all i would like to apologize for giving up on last years grow journal. I had an amazing crop but the hottest pepper i grew last year was the Caribbean Red Habanero. I am now growing about 9 pepper varieties with the hottest being the Carolina Reaper. First off i am very proud and excited to be growing the hottest pepper in the world. I usually grow all my peppers from seed but my local green house was selling seedlings of the Reaper for about $2.50 a piece. I got two of them and i was going to get four or six but i decided on two because even though i had about 7 to 8 years pepper growing experience i have heard the Reaper is a tough plant to grow. I got the plants when they were about 6" tall and they grew to about 4 feet within a month, all in 5 gallon pots. I grow all organically using bone meal, feather meal, sulfate of potash, and even applying the bacteria necessary for organic breakdown and absorption. I also do a spray of Epsom Salts every three weeks. Ok enough of my blabbering.

I have a question for all of my pepper heads out there concerning the Carolina Reaper. I have two plants but they look like they are producing two different pods. I know when i bought them that they were definitely from the same lot. One of my plants are producing the Typical Reaper looking pod, with a nice stinger and a very bumpy body. The other plant, pod is more elongated, but is bumpy and still has a nice stinger on the end. I have the pics below.

This is the Reaper with the more elongated pod.

0708171344.jpg

This is the Reaper with the typical looking pod, it is more bumpy and has a more defined stinger.
0708171344a.jpg

I know that Reapers can be somewhat irregular when the grow and that no two pods are the same but to me the first plant just looks different that my other Typical looking Reaper plant so i just wanted some opinions from the pepper community. Another thing that i had trouble with these plants was setting the fruit. At first they would flower and look great but they just wouldn't set, so i went out and bought some Flower and Fruit set, which has the plant hormone Kinetin in it and it definitely has helped to set the fruit on my reapers now. I was guessing i might of had a PH problem but it has been really hot and humid, with a lot of rain this year so that might of been the problem as well. All my other peppers are doing fine with a lot of producing pods.

If anyone could give me some incite on the Reaper pods i would appreciate it. I am just hoping i have to Reaper plants. Thank you. 

Do all the pods look the same on the first plant? I have a Reaper plant growing this year, and it has about 50/50. Half the pods have the shape and tail, and half are a mixture. If that's the worst pod, and some look legit, I'd say you're probably ok. If all the pods look like the first one, I'd be a little concerned. The second looks a lot closer. Although it's not perfect, it definitely has characteristics of a Reaper.

Tim

I pulled a couple of enlongated reapers yesterday, too, and thought it was a little odd they grew to that shape with no pronounced tail.  Didn't figure it was a big deal, and since they were going to a customer, I threw in a couple of extras just to make sure they got enough of the reaper shapes.

I never would realize how nerve racking it is to grow super hots but anyway DWB i got some pods on the second plant that look like yours so i know for sure its a Reaper. I am going to have to wait and see for the second plant since they are so small right now. It is probably a Reaper but it could of got cross pollinated some how and sold to the greenhouse. It could be the hot and humid, rainy weather we've been having. I noticed some of my Habaneros are growing a little funny this year as well.

I will post some more pics soon when i get some more mature pods but to my understanding on the Reaper plant no two pods are alike, unlike some other super hots. 

Back