• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Fertilize

Hello there!

I have heard so much different about how to properly fertilize your chili plants, so I just want to clear this up once and for all.
I currently do this:
  • Every time I repot, I mix the new soil with chicken pellets and dolomite chalk.
  • Every time when I water the plants I water using water + a liquid fertilizer NPK 8 + 3 + 5 with micronutrients.

Is this good? Is this enough/too much? What can I do to improve?

I'm considering buying the "plant magic soil bloom", do you guys think it would be good to start using that instead of the liquid fertilizer I use? The plant magic is NPK 2.5 - 0.5 - 5.2 which might be better for the fruit production?

Also I got some tips about Epsom salt, is that necessary when I use the dolomite chalk? Can I use both or is it enough with one of them?

Thanks a lot guys.

From my experience, it's too much fertilizer if you water it every time with it... I water mine with half strength liquid fertilizer once a week and they are doing fine.

TakashiLM said:
From my experience, it's too much fertilizer if you water it every time with it... I water mine with half strength liquid fertilizer once a week and they are doing fine.
Okay thanks, so if I cut down on the liquid fertilizer? Is it fine?
How is my liquid fertilizer? Do I need to get a new one?

Probably not helpful, but gotta throw in my organic two cents.  If you use compost tea, I dont think you will ever have to worry about nutrient burn or even how much to use other than over watering.  Some folk are like mad scientists with their chemical nutrients.  I am sure you can get the best performance that way, but seems like you run some serious risks.

AJ Drew said:
Probably not helpful, but gotta throw in my organic two cents.  If you use compost tea, I dont think you will ever have to worry about nutrient burn or even how much to use other than over watering.  Some folk are like mad scientists with their chemical nutrients.  I am sure you can get the best performance that way, but seems like you run some serious risks.

I do not have compost at home, and I am not sure how I would get my hands on compost. But otherwise I would love to try it.

vike22 said:

I do not have compost at home, and I am not sure how I would get my hands on compost. But otherwise I would love to try it.

Some options:

My local waste management/recycle center has a compost place next door, they collect the organics from the waste to compost, then sell it by the yard, I got a truckload (3 yards) for about $50.

If you're looking for smaller/cheaper, my local farm supply has worm castings in a small 7lb bag (about a gallon size) for I think around $13.

willard3 said:
With chiles, the best advice is to lay off the fertilizer. In hydro, I use fertilizer at about 25% the dose recommended by the mfg.

Remember what the mfg is selling.

Thanks, I know, but I see many posts here on the forum about all kinds of fertilizers and nutritions. That's why I worry.

Spork said:

Some options:

My local waste management/recycle center has a compost place next door, they collect the organics from the waste to compost, then sell it by the yard, I got a truckload (3 yards) for about $50.

If you're looking for smaller/cheaper, my local farm supply has worm castings in a small 7lb bag (about a gallon size) for I think around $13.

I found "compost soil" at my local soil place, is that the same? Or is that not pure compost?

a guy i know that owns a local hydro store told me all he uses is worm castings and seaweed kelp extract. To me, someone that has access to virtually every nutrient on the market and all he uses is worm castings and kelp extract, says alot. Thats all i use now and my plants are doing awesome. The only other thing ive added was silica because i live in a hot and high wind area so i was trying to strengthen the plants up a little bit. But other than that, worm castings and kelp extract is the way to go.

AJ Drew said:

Spork said:

Some options:

Guys I got some news, I managed to find a compost supplier. Now the big question is, what do I do with this compost? I have all my chilies in pots indoors in my grow room, so how do I fertilize them with this compost? Do I just put the compost on top of the soil? Do I mix it with the water and water it? My pots are pretty small and I'm not sure I could stir the soil up since it would destroy roots.

Also how often do I use this compost for the plants?

Thanks guys

vike22 said:

Guys I got some news, I managed to find a compost supplier. Now the big question is, what do I do with this compost? I have all my chilies in pots indoors in my grow room, so how do I fertilize them with this compost? Do I just put the compost on top of the soil? Do I mix it with the water and water it? My pots are pretty small and I'm not sure I could stir the soil up since it would destroy roots.

Also how often do I use this compost for the plants?

Thanks guys

This is a good jumping off point:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32001-beginners-guide-to-aactcompost-tea/

See #12 for how often.  

Just throw it on top and water it in. Can also make a compost tea with about 1 cup compost per gallon, a little molasses, an airstone and a fish pump and let it sit for a couple days. Can also use the tea as a foliar spray if you want.

Edmick said:
Just throw it on top and water it in. Can also make a compost tea with about 1 cup compost per gallon, a little molasses, an airstone and a fish pump and let it sit for a couple days. Can also use the tea as a foliar spray if you want.

Sounds like much work to make that compost tea, I think I'll just throw it on top and water it in like you told me to. Thanks very much.

Another question, is it some kind of expiration date on compost? I got it today from my supplier, I have it in a plastic bag, do I need to go and get new compost or can I keep using this compost until it's over? Should I close the bag tightly or let it breathe?

Thanks

The compost tea is easy if you have the stuff already. I got a fish pump and airstone from the pet store and i use a 5 gallon jug. If you store moist (not wet) compost in black trash bags it'll stay good for months. Just keep an eye out for mold. Dont let it get too dry either cuz you can kill off the beneficial bacteria.

Edmick said:
The compost tea is easy if you have the stuff already. I got a fish pump and airstone from the pet store and i use a 5 gallon jug. If you store moist (not wet) compost in black trash bags it'll stay good for months. Just keep an eye out for mold. Dont let it get too dry either cuz you can kill off the beneficial bacteria.

I don't think I will buy a fish pump and airstone and so on, also I don't have space for a tea factory. But thank you for the advice, and thanks for answering my questions.
I'll just spread the compost on top of my soil, I hope this works.  :P

it will worki use worm casting (which is basically a compost) and all i do is sprinkle it on top. Worm castings and kelp extract. Thats all my peppers get and they're happy.

Edmick said:
it will worki use worm casting (which is basically a compost) and all i do is sprinkle it on top. Worm castings and kelp extract. Thats all my peppers get and they're happy.

Perfect, thanks a lot Edmick!

Back