• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Lemon Drop Pepper Question

I decided to try to grow some Lemon Drops this year and was wondering if anyone could tell me if these are indeed Lemon Drops. I have been growing peppers for over 8 years now and never grew these types of peppers. I thought they were supposed to be more elongated and skinnier but my pods are super fat and more orange Habanero like.

I got three Lemon Drop plants growing but i took pics from two of the plants.

Here is the first plant:
0710171509.jpg

And here is the second plant:

0710171510.jpg

I've researched Lemon Drops before i went ahead and planted the seeds and i know they are from the baccatum family which is know for producing a lot of pods. This plant no question is producing a lot of pods but don't look like the Lemon Drops i've seen online. Could i have been duped by the seed pack? Either way i am not too concerned as these plants are producing a lot of pods.

Any comments would be appreciated, thank you!! :) 

Those definitely look like habaneros.  Sorry, but it looks like they're doing really well!
One easy way to distinguish baccatums are the yellow markings on the flower petals.

Jubnat said:
Those definitely look like habaneros.  Sorry, but it looks like they're doing really well!
One easy way to distinguish baccatums are the yellow markings on the flower petals.

I was thinking the same thing. I grow orange Habs every year for the past 8 years so i am thinking i might of mixed up the pots and mistaken them for lemon drops.

Thanks for the tip on the flower petals, i'll have to go take a look at some in a little bit.

However....there are Lemon Drops that are different.

IMG_8508.jpg

I grew them last year. Your pods appear to be bigger, but maybe you bought one of those.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Shiny like habs, pretty sure they are habs

I was thinking they were Habs as well. I guess i'll just have to see when they ripen. I got tons of peppers growing like i do every yeah but i mixed up the pots a little. All my plants are producing tons of pods, i will post pics in the grow log section soon.

I don't think they are Baccatums as there are several peppers from a node in those pics, Chinense IMHO and most likely in the habanero pepper family.

SavinaRed said:
I don't think they are Baccatums as there are several peppers from a node in those pics, Chinense IMHO and most likely in the habanero pepper family.

But I did some research and i thought Baccatums produces more pods per node than the Chinense varieties? I could be wrong but i grow orange Habs every year and never seen this many peppers per node. I wish i didn't mix the pots up now but either way i got tons of pods on all my plants, my Red Habs, Caribbean Reds, Carolina Reapers, Serrano's, Cayannes, all got tons of pods :)

hotpepperguy said:

But I did some research and i thought Baccatums produces more pods per node than the Chinense varieties? I could be wrong but i grow orange Habs every year and never seen this many peppers per node. I wish i didn't mix the pots up now but either way i got tons of pods on all my plants, my Red Habs, Caribbean Reds, Carolina Reapers, Serrano's, Cayannes, all got tons of pods :)
I'm pretty sure that is not the norm and more the exception than the rule with multiple peppers per node. I have yet to see more than 1 per node and I grow several different varieties each year with 12-20 plants each year.

I was doing some research online and they have this Habanero variety called Habanero Golden. The plant looked just like my plants, with a lot of pod production plus fat pods. Maybe the seed company mixed them up. The Habanero Golden does ripen to a yellowish, lite orange color.

Back