• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Eating Superhots!

I have a question for those that can eat superhot pods straight. What steps did you take to get to that kind of tolerance? Did you work your way up? If so, what peppers did you use a stepping stones to get to supers? If you went straight from store bought jalapenos to brainstrains and reapers, I'd love to hear how it worked out for you.

For me it was store bought orange habs.  That much maligned and overlooked regular orange habanero packs decent heat.  When you reach a point where those aren't touching you then you're ready to step up.  

I'll never forget the day I picked a Trinidad Scorpion from a plant in my backyard (from a seed I got in trade here on THP!) and ate the whole thing in one bite.  It was still warm from the afternoon sun.  I chewed briefly, coughed a few times and then realized I probably should not have done that.  About an hour later I was sorta feeling like myself again.  That hour though....especially that first ten minutes or so when the pain is just washing over you....yeah.  Not for everyone.

Pretty much the same for me, I used to eat Jalapeno's, Seerano's and Thai Chili's fresh.  Once those werent hot enough graduated to Orange Habs, then other different habs and then first superhot ever eaten was a Ghost Pepper.  The pain as expected was pretty intense for the first 10-15min but after that and the cooldown I thought I kinda enjoyed that. 

I can eat raw, but to be honest if I did that everyday my stomach would be in tatters, I'll leave the whole fresh pods to the reviewers.  What I do is usually cut up the superhot and put it on some Triscut Crackers with Boursin Garlic and Herb cheese if I have it or just regular old cream cheese.  It provides enough of a buffer so I dont have stomach cramps and I can enjoy the heat and flavor of the chili still.

cheers

Full disclosure: I cannot eat a superhot raw without quite a bit of agony and definitely could not do one of the review videos where they keep talking through the whole ordeal.
That said, my tolerance went up dramatically after being introduced to powders. I use ghost pepper powder daily on any kind of food. I find that some days I like it painful hot and some days I just want a little kick, but if I'm really looking to increase tolerance, it is just a few more shakes of powder every day.

My first experience was with a reaper. My co workers and I all cut one up into 5 pieces and ate it. Seconds later a young lady was in tears, my boss was hiccupping uncontrollably, and my teeth were chattering like a muppet...   good times

That was my intro to the world of super hots. Shortly after I ordered a few SFRB from various people and sampled them all. I took those seeds and ordered a few others and now have about 60 adult plants to maintain everyday. (Gonna cut it back to about 20 favorites soon)

All that being said... I eat about 2-3 superhots a day now. One at lunch and 2 when I get home. I like to get some good ghost peppers or primos, hummus, cheese, and salami sometimes and put it all on a chip.

Goes great with a beer or a rum n coke

CHEERS

I'm at the orange habanero stage right now. I've got yellow fatallis ripening and I'm also growing some supers. I'm planing on eating a whole fatali when one is ripe seeing as I've never tried one. I've made killer salsa and hot sauce with reapers but I've never eaten one straight. Just the thought makes me sweat.

I like the flavor and I love them in things, but damn I cannot eat an entire reaper with seeds and all without extreme discomfort to say the least. 

SmokenFire said:
I'll never forget the day I picked a Trinidad Scorpion from a plant in my backyard (from a seed I got in trade here on THP!) and ate the whole thing in one bite.  It was still warm from the afternoon sun.  I chewed briefly, coughed a few times and then realized I probably should not have done that.  About an hour later I was sorta feeling like myself again.  That hour though....especially that first ten minutes or so when the pain is just washing over you....yeah.  Not for everyone.
This is what I'm afraid of haha!

Spork said:
Full disclosure: I cannot eat a superhot raw without quite a bit of agony and definitely could not do one of the review videos where they keep talking through the whole ordeal.
That said, my tolerance went up dramatically after being introduced to powders. I use ghost pepper powder daily on any kind of food. I find that some days I like it painful hot and some days I just want a little kick, but if I'm really looking to increase tolerance, it is just a few more shakes of powder every day.

This is pretty much where I'm at as well, among 'normies' i have an incredible tolerance for heat if you pit me against a true pepperhead I'd probably look weak. Anyway I grew way too many scorpians one year, made powder from them and pretty much sprinkled ground up scorpians on everything. After doing that for a few months I found my tolerance increased dramatically.

Also eating store bought habs helps a lot if you don't have any super-hot powders laying around.

I used to put crushed red pepper on nearly everything. I did get an orange hab and loved the heat but hated the taste.

Someone I know knew a guy that had some Reapers and was going around trying to get people to eat one and nobody would. I told him I would and he said the guy's rule was he got to record it.

It was way hotter than I expected but still awesome. For handling it quite casually, he let me keep one. I chose the biggest one and cooked chicken Alfredo with it.

Yoimthatguy said:

This is pretty much where I'm at as well, among 'normies' i have an incredible tolerance for heat if you pit me against a true pepperhead I'd probably look weak. Anyway I grew way too many scorpians one year, made powder from them and pretty much sprinkled ground up scorpians on everything. After doing that for a few months I found my tolerance increased dramatically.

Also eating store bought habs helps a lot if you don't have any super-hot powders laying around.

Exactly.

On the store bought habaneros, they were my first brush with real heat. Long before I got into growing chiles, when they were still among the hottest peppers available. I decided I was 'the man' and could eat a habanero for fun. Went to the store, bought a few, ate a small pod, and proceeded to writhe in pain for what felt like a half hour. Clearly I did not learn my lesson that day, because here I am.

Drink beer, eat a super, whats the problem?  :metal:  :lol:

Personally I skipped the orange habs. I went from serranos, goatsweed, rocoto/manzanos to red and yellow bhut jolokias. After that its was douglahs and red and brown morugas.

#1 You should probably already have a high tolerance to pain and traumatic situations before attempting whole fresh supers.

#2 Always, always, always prep your gut, always.

#3 Don't have any others plans that evening and possibly the next morning.

#4 You better be tuff if your gonna be stoopid

hogleg said:
Drink beer, eat a super, whats the problem?  :metal:  :lol:

Personally I skipped the orange habs. I went from serranos, goatsweed, rocoto/manzanos to red and yellow bhut jolokias. After that its was douglahs and red and brown morugas.

#1 You should probably already have a high tolerance to pain and traumatic situations before attempting whole fresh supers.

#2 Always, always, always prep your gut, always.

#3 Don't have any others plans that evening and possibly the next morning.

#4 You better be tuff if your gonna be stoopid

All very good advice, especially #4.  I´ve been trying to find the proper balance in my tuff:stoopid ratio for decades.  I think I´m pretty close to where I wanna be, these days.  But, I gotta ask: what´s up with number 3? Last year, I had a few occasions where I eat a Seven, act like a d!ckhead at home for half an hour (panting, pacing, drinking a quart of whole milk...), then once the endorphin rush subsided for the most part, I ride my bike to the pub for a burger, fries, and a few oat sodas. That might mean i´m pretty tough, but it prolly just means i´m pretty stupid. 
grin.gif

FITN said:
I'm at the orange habanero stage right now. I've got yellow fatallis ripening and I'm also growing some supers. I'm planing on eating a whole fatali when one is ripe seeing as I've never tried one. I've made killer salsa and hot sauce with reapers but I've never eaten one straight. Just the thought makes me sweat.

Jut wanna say, Yella Fataliis are really awesome pods.  You´re gonna be happy with those, for sure. I ate  quite a few straight fresh Fatalii pods last year; they´re pretty hott (not superhot, obviously) but the sensation is different with those than with a lot of other peppers.  It´s not so much a ¨ḧeat¨ thing, but a ¨pain¨ type of feeling.  More like you took a punch in the mouth, as opposed to the sensation of high temperatures.  Least, that´s how i experienced it.  Great chiles, for sure.  
cruzzfish said:
I didn't. It really, really hurts. The laughs I get from people nearby and the endorphin rush make up for it. Eating enough of them can make it hurt less but you will never be able to just eat them straight up without problems.

This is basically how I do it.  I´m no good at it; i lose my cool and act ridiculously, despite my best efforts to regain composure.  Once the worst of it passes, I take a few breaths and promise myself to stop doing that... but I know i´ll do it again.  

dragonsfire said:
Way back people I knew would eat a can of sardines before going to a "Luncheon" when they expect to abuse their stomach.

(Mark as ¨best answer!¨) 

hogleg said:
#3 Is because some have very delayed cap cramps, namely the brown moruga but others as well. If I eat a brown moruga around five in the afternoon, I can usually expect severe cap cramps around midnight to 3 am.
Oh, shit... that makes sense, for sure.  I´ve been pretty lucky as far as cap-cramps and next-day ringburn goes.... seems like, once i swallow the things, i´m ok.  Then again, i´ve never messed with Brown Morugas or really any of the truly heavy-hitters.  

hogleg said:
#3 Is because some have very delayed cap cramps, namely the brown moruga but others as well. If I eat a brown moruga around five in the afternoon, I can usually expect severe cap cramps around midnight to 3 am.

That is why I always de seed.  The may not produce cap but they are coated in enough  to make it all the way thru with lots of sting left, and they have specifically evolved to be indigestible and make it all the way thru.

I can eat a quarter of a de seeded reaper with only moderate repercussions when a thai , seeds and all would wreck me.  

Back