• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Salt curing fresh pods?

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
So this year I am only growing aleppo peppers because i intend on harvesting for seeds without worry of cross pollination but from what i read, in syria they salt cure the peppers before drying. I would really like to make these flakes as traditional as possible but i cant find any good information on how its done. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Tabasco does it with Avery Island salt maybe that is your best bet for research as it is more readily available.

I'm thinking that since aleppo is close to the Mediterranean that they may use sea salt..? But for how long? And is it washed prior to drying? Maybe its a process thats kept in the family by each individual farmer but i would just like a starting point. The flakes are getting harder and harder to find due to the conflict in syria and this is why I'm trying to produce something as close as possible.

Sorry to hear they are harder to find for you, the place by me still has plenty. Use them mostly on pizza and Italian.

IMG_20170715_200606.jpg

Keep us posted on your efforts!

The bag you posted looks pretty legit but from what i understand, there are alot of places selling aleppo that may be a different variety being sold under the name. There are alot of similar varieties from turkey and the surrounding areas that are being bagged as aleppos because of the popularity in the culinary world. But yes, i love using it in italian. Its great in homemade sausage also. Its my favorite pepper for cooking. So versatile.

Back