• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Fast acting Gypsum or Lime Pellets? Trying to solve my BER problem for next year

Hello all,
Wanted to know which is better for solving my BER problem? Fast-acting Gypsum or Lime Pellets? I keep having BER problem with my mexibelle peppers. I was wanting to make a sludge and feed it this way. Especially since i am going to do a raised bed garden next year. The potting mix i am gonna use is daddy petes plant pleaser potting mix. Looking at their youtube channel and of the potting mix video they had they say it's versatile and say that people use it in raised bed gardens. It has gypsum in it that i was looking but with tomatos and peppers i am gonna be doing i am not sure if it will last long. Which is why it's better to have a 40 pound bag of either fast acting gypsum or lime pellets to do this.

If you want fast acting organic calcium, liquid bone meal is the fastest acting calcium I know of. Pricey though.

CalMag is great. I plant with bone meal in the pot or hole in the raised garden bed and supplement with CalMag. It can be applied as a foliar spray as well.

The gypsum i got dissolved pretty fast in water. IIRC i used about 1/3 cup in 5 gallons. Each potted plant got 1 quart of the gypsum water. It appears to work fine.

austin87 said:
CalMag is great. I plant with bone meal in the pot or hole in the raised garden bed and supplement with CalMag. It can be applied as a foliar spray as well.

How long does it take before bonemeal is available to the plants? And which of the 2 are you talking about that can be applied as a foliar spray? Are you talking about the calmag?

Powelly said:
Hi,
Is the plant in a pot or in the ground

The plants are in pots this year. going to do raised bed gardens next year. I have a bottle of stop blossom end rot that has 10 percent calcium. i have it diluted in a water bottle and i spray the leaves when i water or when it rains and still getting BER on my mexibelles.

Codeman said:

How long does it take before bonemeal is available to the plants? And which of the 2 are you talking about that can be applied as a foliar spray? Are you talking about the calmag?

I don't think bonemeal is immediately available, it breaks down over time. Put it in the hole/pot at planting time and you reapply in 6-10 weeks.

CalMag can be applied as a foliar spray at the rate of 1 teaspoon/gallon. https://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-CAL-MAG-Plant-Supplement-Formula/dp/B004JKBMRW

If it matters, I do not think CalMag is organic. I use mostly organic stuff like Fish and Seaweed emulsion but I am comfortable with CalMag.

austin87 said:

I don't think bonemeal is immediately available, it breaks down over time. Put it in the hole/pot at planting time and you reapply in 6-10 weeks.

CalMag can be applied as a foliar spray at the rate of 1 teaspoon/gallon. https://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-CAL-MAG-Plant-Supplement-Formula/dp/B004JKBMRW

If it matters, I do not think CalMag is organic. I use mostly organic stuff like Fish and Seaweed emulsion but I am comfortable with CalMag.

I don't really feel comfortable with calmag. Right. what else besides bonemeal would i use to put in the planting hole? Bloodmeal?

Codeman said:

I don't really feel comfortable with calmag. Right. what else besides bonemeal would i use to put in the planting hole? Bloodmeal?

Probably depends on when you plant out. Bloodmeal is high in nitrogen with is good for growth of green leafy parts, but too much nitrogen can inhibit flower development and pod set.

So if you are planting out smaller plants, sure. If they are more mature might want to go with something more balanced.

If you can add some composted material to the soil a few weeks or months before planting, then add bonemeal to the hole, then use something like this: http://www.neptunesharvest.com/fs-191.html or this: http://www.neptunesharvest.com/tv191-1.html every couple of weeks during the season you should be good.

Lots of folks here use CalMag but there are other options for calcium, just not sure anything else will act as fast and given we are mid-season, might want to do your own research on it. From BotaniCare's website on the CalMag page:

Q: Are your products organic? 
A: We have many certified/listed organic products and use many organically derived ingredients in our formulations. Organic certified compounds are naturally occurring compounds like bat guano or alfalfa meal, rather than mineral compounds that are mined or synthesized. While not all of our products are CDFA, OMRI, NOP certified organic we strive to use natural and organic inputs whenever possible.

austin87 said:

Probably depends on when you plant out. Bloodmeal is high in nitrogen with is good for growth of green leafy parts, but too much nitrogen can inhibit flower development and pod set.

So if you are planting out smaller plants, sure. If they are more mature might want to go with something more balanced.

If you can add some composted material to the soil a few weeks or months before planting, then add bonemeal to the hole, then use something like this: http://www.neptunesharvest.com/fs-191.html or this: http://www.neptunesharvest.com/tv191-1.html every couple of weeks during the season you should be good.

Lots of folks here use CalMag but there are other options for calcium, just not sure anything else will act as fast and given we are mid-season, might want to do your own research on it. From BotaniCare's website on the CalMag page:

Q: Are your products organic? 
A: We have many certified/listed organic products and use many organically derived ingredients in our formulations. Organic certified compounds are naturally occurring compounds like bat guano or alfalfa meal, rather than mineral compounds that are mined or synthesized. While not all of our products are CDFA, OMRI, NOP certified organic we strive to use natural and organic inputs whenever possible.

Oh i have the neptunes tomato and veg one. good stuff. use the neptunes tomato and veg one every 2 weeks?

Codeman said:

The plants are in pots this year. going to do raised bed gardens next year. I have a bottle of stop blossom end rot that has 10 percent calcium. i have it diluted in a water bottle and i spray the leaves when i water or when it rains and still getting BER on my mexibelles.

Then it probably doesn't matter as you won't get runoff

Powelly said:

Then it probably doesn't matter as you won't get runoff

Right but i keep getting it. i was getting it quite a bit with my coolapenos but they haven't been doing good even though they came back i think they're still recovering. but my point is i keep getting BER with my mexibelles. I did give them a calcium spray. It said to put 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. I did 2 table spoons and a half to 1 gallon. I put down a table spoon of epsom salt on top of the soil and watered with the calcium spray getting the leaves as well as watering the container.

Powelly said:
Perhaps soil is anaerobic and needs lightening up a bit

How would that matter with calcium? my soil mix dries out in 2 days and they wilt. so i am gonna water everyday.

Back