• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How do you mark your plants?

It's all in the title, how do you guys mark your plants? I'm trying to avoid the use of chemicals so markers or stickers are not the best thing I guess.

Popsicle sticks. 

I guess if you didn't want to use marker to write directly on them you could just buy different colored ones like kids use for crafts, and record which color corresponds to which plant.

If you´re planting in the ground or in a garden bed, you can just draw up a schematic and note where you planted each variety.  I did that in a pretty big raised bed, and it´s been helpful. I used some white cloth bags and had labeled those with a sharpie, which has disappeared on many of them, i guess from either sun or water or both....so, there might be something to your concerns re: chemicals leaching into the soil.  I´m not worried; i´m gonna eat those chiles anyway.  I probably ate a few markers back in the late 70s/early 80s anyway. But yeah, the notebook with a labeled schematic of the plot has worked for me.

TakashiLM said:
I cut some vertical strips from soda bottles and write with sharpie markers. 

Same, although I switched mostly to cut strips from aluminum cans + sharpie. The shiny metal makes it easier to quickly find.

Obviously this isn't "chemical free", but I work in a chemistry lab and handle pharmaceutical intermediates on a daily basis... so sharpie is pretty far off my radar.

I agree with Bicycle808, draw up a schematic with labels. Seems like the easiest way if you're trying to avoid markers. 

Seedlings I do a schematic. Since I grow in pots and I move them around a lot, I just cut the piece I wrote the variety name onto the solo cup out and toss it on top of the soil. Once I get pods I can usually tell so I don't mind much if the tags fade. 

This year, I had a map for my seedlings, which I translated to a plot map when I put them in the ground.

One of my Chocolate Habaneros grew up into a Cayenne pepper plant.   :rolleyes:

I'm going with a labeling system next year. ;)

I map mine as well, example:

E9yVgqk.jpg

I use the thick paper tags + twist ties (look like tall, short flags) from the grocery's bulk department. (Dark chocolate pretzels - YUM!)
A fat "extreme permanent" marker works well as a marker.  The 'normal' sharpie pens fade badly in the Aridzona sun.

The tags can be wrapped around a stem or branch. stuck in the ground like a post, or threaded through a small hole poked in the side of the plastic container.

Aluminum, like those cheap foil pans you get for picnics.
Cut the bottom out into strips around 3/4" wide and 4" long. Size depends on handwriting skills and what you want the label to say.
Use a nail and just enough pressure to scribe in your info.
Punch a little hole in one end and use string or tie wire to tie it to your plant.

Back