• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Figs and Hot Peppers Jam/Jelly

Hello, I have a fig tree in my yard which produces about 15-20 lbs figs each season, I've made wine with it and given lots away, but now with my peppers coming up I'm wanting to make some Jam/Jelly with 'em. Any recipes for Figs and Hot Peppers? Can I just swap out some of the strawberry and hot pepper recipes I've come across with figs? This will be my first time making jelly and jam, so I want to keep the "experimenting" to a minimum until I'm confident enough to swap out this or that on my own. I wanna be sure I can produce something successful and of course safe! Thanks!

I don't have a recipe, but a fig and pepper jelly is definitely doable. Troy Primo's wife makes a fig and habanero jelly that is fantastic.

I have made jams with different fruits and peppers. I would think you would be fine to just insert figs instead of strawberries in whatever recipe you are looking at.

That Ball recipe looks pretty good!  The amount the recipe makes is 2 quarts.  Depending on the heat level you want, 2-3 habanero type peppers will give it a 5-6/10 heat.  And if the chiles are included in the 4 cups of figs measurement, there shouldn't be any issues with the recipe ratios.  Also, using dried chiles is an option.

With figs, I wonder how some chipotle powder would work? 

Worst case scenario, if it doesn't set, you can re-batch it with more pectin.  Directions are on the Ball website.

Have Fun!  Post Pics~
SL

MeatHead1313 said:
I don't have a recipe, but a fig and pepper jelly is definitely doable. Troy Primo's wife makes a fig and habanero jelly that is fantastic.

Yeah, that's what I was gonna mention, I have some in the fridge right now.  It's really good.
It's awesome on roasted chicken.

I know it has habaneros, lemon(I think juice and zest) and spices(maybe cinnamon and a touch of cloves, or allspice maybe?).

Wish I had a recipe for you but, I should figure one out, I should have some figs ready to pick soon.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure how acid, pectin, or sugar levels of different fruit might affect the final product. I'll check out ball fig recipe, I'd likely add some Red Savinas and/or Reapers that are fruiting now, I'll still have till mid-late august before I have ripe figs, sure to have a recipe planned out before then. I'm excited to be able to use home grown ingredients.

No recipe and not a jam, but thought to share.  Figs go great with hot peppers and work as a base for spreads and dips.  I chop them up with peppers and onions, toss them into a food processor and let it stand in fridge for a day or two.  There is a name for it but I forget.  Great stuff.

I love a good fig jam. It goes really well with a cheese plate especially with blue cheese. Also very popular is a bacon fig jam which plays well on burgers. Hope this helps.

Word. I'm thinking chipotle would be the perfect counterpart.

Back