• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First Ferment

First off, thank you community for inspiring me to jump off the ledge and get in the pool.
Here is my first ferment put together last night.
463g of some kind of crossed pepper
161g Red Bell Pepper
90g garlic (i hate peeling garlic, any tips?)
18g pickling salt (just over 2% I know) I figured SmokeNFire survived with the wrong math in his recipe
4 probiotic capsules
Cabbage cap on top
Topped wth a little moscato

The mash tastes good. I licked the spatula and mistakenly licked my lips. They were still burning late that night.
LMAfEYq.jpg

OLC79Wx.jpg

now i'm just waiting to see the magic start before I tuck it away in a dark corner.
I'm a little nervous about the head space but I don't have any bigger jars(quart)

Nice ferment Malarky. Like dragonsfire said, just push on the clove with a flat side of something like a big knife or a cutting board and the garlic part pushes right out of the skin of the clove. 

i'm not sure what kind of garlic the grocery store sells but it sucked to peel.
i'd grab what I thought was a nice fat clove and begin to unwrap it. Inside would fall out 2-3 smaller wrapped cloves inside.
Is that a sign of that the bulb is growing more and creating more cloves.

Malarky said:
First off, thank you community for inspiring me to jump off the ledge and get in the pool.
Here is my first ferment put together last night.
463g of some kind of crossed pepper
161g Red Bell Pepper
90g garlic (i hate peeling garlic, any tips?)
18g pickling salt (just over 2% I know) I figured SmokeNFire survived with the wrong math in his recipe
4 probiotic capsules
Cabbage cap on top
Topped wth a little moscato

The mash tastes good. I licked the spatula and mistakenly licked my lips. They were still burning late that night.
LMAfEYq.jpg

OLC79Wx.jpg

now i'm just waiting to see the magic start before I tuck it away in a dark corner.
I'm a little nervous about the head space but I don't have any bigger jars(quart)
Neat looking pods! Any idea what cross it is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Muckyai said:
Neat looking pods! Any idea what cross it is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I don't know the cross. And the guy I got them from doesn't appear to be a member here anymore.

They were labeled AjiHabanero but they definitely were not baccatum. I didn't save any seed as I wasn't super impressed. They have a very stingy heat.

Muckyai said:
This works and is great when peeling mass quantities of garlic

Watch "How To Peel a Head of Garlic in Less Than 10 Seconds" on YouTube

Nice looking start Malarky!
The method Muckyai posted works terrific when doing lots of garlic.
I have also used a similar technique for boiled eggs.. just add in a bit of water to help separate the shells.  I would also recommend a water tight storage container for the shaking if doing eggs.

Back