• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When to Pick Pods? (Orange Habaneros)

Hello all,

So I am into my First Growing Season of 15 Orange Habanero Plants and they are really starting to take off. I have quite large Pods all over the plants (The pods are still all green)

My Questions are when should I start picking the Pods? I am assuming when they ripen to the Natural Orange color, correct?

Also, Once the Pods are Orange and Ripe on the plants, How long can they stay on the plants once Ripe?

Lastly, Once Picked should I put them at Room Temperature or in the Fridge? How long are they typically good once picked? (I do plan to freeze a majority of them until I would like to add to a recipe or When I am ready to make another batch of sauce).

Thank you!

Peppers can be consumed both green or ripe, it's up to you. but imo habaneros are a lot more flavorful when ripen.

well, the pods can stay in the plant until they fall off natually I guess.

like any other fruit and/or veggie, if you store them in the fridge, it will last longer than at room temperature. so again, up to you.

Good luck!

TakashiLM said:
Peppers can be consumed both green or ripe, it's up to you. but imo habaneros are a lot more flavorful when ripen.

well, the pods can stay in the plant until they fall off natually I guess.

like any other fruit and/or veggie, if you store them in the fridge, it will last longer than at room temperature. so again, up to you.

Good luck!

Here I thought they would not have much heat when green. I ate one right off the plant. It was a rough but fun 20 minutes :)

dsm600rr said:

Here I thought they would not have much heat when green. I ate one right off the plant. It was a rough but fun 20 minutes :)

Green pods have less sugar than ripe pods, so they can seem hotter. They aren't actually hotter, but the sugar of ripe pods can help balance out the heat and make it seem that way.

You can also pick them as they start to turn color and they will ripen on the counter in a couple of days.

dsm600rr said:

Yeah I've been there Hahahahah!!

I love Orange and Chocolate Habanero. Its flavor when ripe is almost fruity. My family can't handle heat so I make mango habanero sauce for them and they love it!

I'm not a fan of the Chocolate's floral elements but orange ones are seriously good. We're talking eat off the plant levels of good, even if that is a little risky.

I absolutely LOVE Orange Habaneros. Yum! Eating off the plant is a risk ill gladly take :)

I am already excited for next season. I have 100's of Orange Habanero Seeds, Spicy Mustard Habanero Seeds, Lemon Habanero Seeds, Orange Scotch Bonnet Seeds and Carolina Reaper Seeds. I get them all from Pepper Joes. Where do you guys get your seeds from?

Back