• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brand new to growing ghost pepper, please help!

I picked up a ghost pepper plant from the nursery two days ago and I've noticed that the leaves are already starting to wilt and turn yellow. I've watered it once already, but plan to water it twice a week and keep the soil slightly moist. I live in northern California (growing zone 9), and we've had quite a few 100+ degree days here, is it possible that my plant is getting TOO MUCH sun? Also, should i transfer it to a larger pot? If so, what size? Lastly, is it ok to keep the pot elevated off of the ground? I did so to prevent my pets from munching on the leaves. Thank you in advance!

kVAmoOu.jpg

AnNFemd.jpg

That is a nice plant you have there but yellowing of leaves from the bottom up is usually nitrogen deficiency (that has been my experience).  Someone will post the picture of nutrient deficiency symptoms on here I am guessing.  Perhaps you could upsize that pot with some new soil like promix and give the existing root ball some liquid fertilizer of some kind like fish emulsion.  I'll let the pros correct me if I'm wrong.

It doesnt look bad but if your leaves are wilting in the heat try putting them somewhere with a little less sun. Was the plant in full sun at the nursery or in a greenhouse?

rnichols1990 said:
At the nursery the plant was in an area that got sun about 5-6 hours a day, so partially shaded.
Then i would give it 5 to 6 hours and gradually increase to more. And yes i would put it in a different pot.

Alright thats what I'll do then. Ill gradually increase the sun and water according to how hot it is, I'm just kinda paranoid about OVERwatering. I'm not sure what exactly is in the soil that it came with. It sounds like it would be beneficial to transport it to a bigger pot and add some fish emulsion.

rnichols1990 said:
Alright thats what I'll do then. Ill gradually increase the sun and water according to how hot it is, I'm just kinda paranoid about OVERwatering. I'm not sure what exactly is in the soil that it came with. It sounds like it would be beneficial to transport it to a bigger pot and add some fish emulsion.
Fish emulsion and kelp extract

Back