• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaving peppers on the plant after ripening

Hey guys! I had to leave my pepper plants in the loving care of my GF's auntie in Portugal. I'm back in the Netherlands myself for a wedding and to sign a contract for a house. Moving back home after a year in the super warm climate of lower Portugal! Now the plan was to fly here and drive back immediately to pick some stuff and take care of my plants, but the plans changed. We had to stay longer than planned, so now I'm a bit worried. The only instructions I gave my auntie-in-law was to water them like she would her own plants. There were quite a few peppers ripening that aren't being picked now.

What is the harm in leaving them on after they've ripened? What other things could happen? 

harm to the pods or to the plant?

harm to the pods will be quicker if theyre picked

harm to the plant? stress of extra weight and less flowering.

Thanks guys! No need to worry then. I have two unpicked pods that contain my precious Lemon Drop x Brazilian Starfish F1 seeds that might be ripe for some time already!  :fireball:

I think it'll slow growth and yields but it wont do any harm. Its what happens in the wild

b3rnd said:
Thanks guys! No need to worry then. I have two unpicked pods that contain my precious Lemon Drop x Brazilian Starfish F1 seeds that might be ripe for some time already!  :fireball:

The seeds would stay fine. That is what they are supposed to do.

Ive left ripe lemon drops on the plant for over a week and orange habs almost as long. The lemon drop seeds i saved from those were awesome. Nearly 100% germination this year.

If you are worried about the pods, cut them open before you eat them.  On seeds, I always let them go past ripe.  I let my cayenne dry on the plant and rarely get the black cruds inside them. 

Back