• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

How long to cook frozen Blue Crabs?

I have some vacuum sealed frozen Blue Crabs.  I'd like to cook them by just throwing the bags in a pot of boiling water, without bothering to defrost them.  

1 - How long will it take to cook them?

2 - Is there any good reason to take them out of the bags first?

Crispee-FL said:
Take them out of the bags, salt the water bring to a rolling boil... add crab or shrimp boil base cook till they change color, got to watch the pot. Time depends on size.
Do I need to take them out of the bags as it will be easier to see them change colors, or is this for another reason?

I didn't bother seasoning the water, so I put the bags in directly.  I took them out of the boiling water fifteen minutes later as I saw some crabs were bright orange.  I should have left some in for a few minutes more, as a few were undercooked. These hadn't fully changed color.  I was hungry and impatient, so I just ate them.

You don't need crab boil just salt was said. Crab boil is good when you have mixed seafood, potatoes, corn, etc.

The seafood always goes in last and barely takes on any boil seasoning it's mostly for all the other stuff.

THP is speaking the truth. Corn/veggies first, then the sausage, then the crab, then the shellfish, then the shrimp last. I love a good boil!

Attachments

• 20170801_213708.jpg
    20170801_213708.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 76
Back