• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what to do with my most productive plants?

It looks like my most productive plants this year will be serrano, aleppo, and hot cherry. I have a couple ideas for them, but would love some additional info!

Aleppo:
  • smoke/dry, crush to powder or flakes (any tips for this?)
  • may also try to sun dry some
  • anything to do with fresh ones?
Hot Cherry:
  • pickle
  • stuff and grill (I have goat cheese in mind... anyone else have any favorites?)
Serrano:
  • Escabeche (THP I saw a recipe you posted recently and can't find it, would appreciate it you could share the link again)
  • pickle

Thanks!

hogleg said:
When the serranos are poppin' I make pico de gallo everyday just about
Yes. This is definitely in the menu. Guacamole (best guac is to add good pico de gallo to smashed avocado).

Are there different/preferred uses for green vs red serranos?

MikeUSMC said:
Aleppo: smoke, dry, flakes

Hot Cherry: stuff with prosciutto and cubes of provolone, stuff into jar, top with oil (I ate a whole jar of these today like they were popcorn)

Serrano: snack on raw while you're picking Aleppos and Hot Cherry peppers ;)
Those stuffed cherries sounds unreal. They are stuffed raw (stemmed, cored, and seeded) and not cooked before hand, correct?

I haven't tried it yet but i saw a video on youtube of someone cutting aleppos in half, filling with cheese and baking. I have 10 aleppo plants this year and would love to find some good recipes.

MikeUSMC said:
Yup, stemmed and deseeded, then stuffed raw. There's a bunch of videos out there too. This guy's recipe looks really good (fridge storage only!)

These look great. They sound like they would be awesome grilled indirect to get warm, soft, and melty too!

np! I like the La Morena brand and they use sesame oil so fyi if you want to swap for olive. They also use sugar like you do already.

Back