• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ghost peppers showing purple streaks

Hi, I have one ghost pepper plant (labeled Red Bhut Jolokia when I bought it as a tiny plant). It currently has 3 good sized peppers on it, about 2 inches long each. After the peppers reached this size, they went from all green to having purplish streaks on them. The purple is becoming more prominent. I searched and it doesn't really look like rot to me and I can't find anyone with the same issue. I saw that there are purple varieties but this was sold as red. Could they be turning this color before they go orange/red? Are they getting too much sun, too much/little water etc? I'm really new to growing hot peppers and have only grown habaneros before. Thanks!
uGwcNm5.jpg

yY4pSxV.jpg

OeMSSrg.jpg

had that on a LOT of mine about a month ago . Do not know what cause's it but everything ripened as it should. May be something early season ? Now that we are into the hot months I have not noticed it happening . sunburn? ok sounds right .

Kinda looks likes the cp 120 from puckerbutt. Maldivian heart x purple bhut. thehotpepper.com/topic/65229-maldivian-heart-x-purple-bhut/

I have had that happen on several different peppers grown outside in a garden box over the years.  Sun and heat for sure, but I always suspected some nutrient-related influence.  The fruit was never damaged, just gave them a funky look.

Sorry for the delayed response... thanks everyone. It does just appear to be a mild sunburn. The peppers are not soft at all where they're purple. Also, they have kept growing and new ones have formed and grown, so it doesn't seem like any type of fungus or rot (longest pepper is over 2.5"). I do agree with @Mild though, there does seem to be something slightly odd besides sunburn going on and they seem to match the stems in color. I don't pay much attention to ph or nutrient levels so that could also be a factor.

[SIZE=13.52px]purple color?   it's anthocyanins.  this is how pepper plant protect itself from ultraviolet radiation.  acidity also play an important role.  :party:[/SIZE][SIZE=13.52px] [/SIZE]

Have seen more and more people using shade cloth to prevent the purple suntan.  At first, I thought it was overkill because they grow out of it.  Am now wondering if maybe productivity is also effected.

My ghost plant has the same purplish tones on the side of the plant getting the most sun. I have mine under a shade cloth so the outer side of the plant has pods the same color as in your pics. Its the most productive plant I've ever grown it has at-least 200 peppers growing on it right now and many more blooms that will produce a ton more peppers. its 4 1/2 - 5 foot tall and still growing like crazy in my 8x4x3 foot high raised bed.

Back