• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Recipe ideas sought for Bahamian Goat peppers

I have 10 or so Bahamian Goat peppers from my plants and was looking for recipe ideas for a suitable hot sauce.
There aren't many more peppers than this - I live in an apartment and the plants are in (too small) pots - it is what it is. But am keen to make something nice.

Obviously I don't expect any award winning recipes, although feel free, so any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

From my experience, if you are looking for traditional sauce like they use in the Bahamas with goat peppers it is a very straight forward sauce:
Goat peppers
Distilled vinegar
Sometimes lime juice
Salt
Cane sugar.
All Ingredients are adjusted to taste
And that's it.... or start with that as a base and add any of the following
Goat peppers also go really well with most tropical fruit
You could add papaya, mango, or pineapple
Maybe some sweet onion, garlic, and or ginger...
Adding mustard will make it more of a bajan style. Which is quite good (several recipes on the internet)
Spices that work well are Tumeric, coriander, allspice(will give a jerk seasoning flavor) and or cumin.

So here's what I went with, and kudos to Smokin' Hot for the recipe in the separate thread http://thehotpepper.com/topic/65165-ideas-for-7-pot-yellow-sauce/

10 Bahamian Goat peppers
3 Aji Pineapple
1 yellow bell pepper
1 yellow tomato
4 small carrots
2 apricots
0.5 yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
0.5 tsp salt
1 lime's worth of juice
1 knob of ginger
2 cloves
4 whole allspice berries
0.25 tsp turmeric
1 cup Maille chardonnay white wine vinegar
1 cup white rice wine vinegar
2 cups water

Weight - sans vinegar and water - was 680 g.

Now just cooking it up on the stove. Hopefully I'll post some pictures once done.

So to complete the recipe:
  • Simmer for 45 minutes, then let cool
  • Mince in food processor or blender
  • Strain through a chinoise
  • Bottle, in a size that suits
Initially I was concerned with the amount of liquid but it turned out perfectly. Next time I would maybe reduce the liquid a little, maybe in total by 0.5 cups.
I also tested the pH and it was 3.3 (via Hannah handheld meter). Not surprising given the amount of vinegar but it should be well shelf stable. Nonetheless I sterlised all the bottles and caps per good practice.

Most importantly the taste... It's warm to intermediate, depending on one's preference. But it has a sweetness that well balances the heat and also there is a little sour from the vinegar. A good sauce!

And the name: Sauce piquant chèvre d'abricot
(As I live in France I can't resist to name all sauces in French. Translation: Apricot goat's hot sauce. (I hope! My French is not very good...))

Thanks @charlesquik - I'm always doing not as well as one might with the forms in French. Much appreciated!
As for the naming, I don't disagree but it may (hopefully?) add something a little different for the average English speaker. And besides, what else is one going to call a hot sauce?  ;)
And yes, it is very tasty!

Point well taken!

Here is a photo of the 23x 50 mL bottles I made up. The photo doesn't show the true colour - it's more a yellow than orange. But the taste is still the same  :party: 

hotsauce_small_zpsfgzfqiw8.jpg

OK, so basically two days on - for the test bottles in the fridge - this one has "grown legs"... Upgraded to an intermediate heat. And it's definitely developed more flavour - it's very good indeed.

Also there is a very slight separation of the sauce, thus confirming an earlier comment that I would cut the liquid by 0.25 to 0.5 cups. (Nothing that a quick shake won't solve. I don't use any additives, e.g., xanthan gum or similar, so the proportion of the liquid is somewhat important.)

I was pretty thrilled with the apricot in my recipe but its a tiny bit more noticeable than i wanted. Next time i will just use 1 apricot for a quart of sauce and increase the 7 Pots. Whole cloves go well with it too but go easy with them and remove before blending.

Ive found it best to let the sauce rest in the fridge for several days to a week before making final adjustments. Flavor can change a fair amount.

Back