• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

When can you identify Annum vs Chinense?

I've got around 30 varieties that recently sprouted from a couple semi-shady merchants. I doubt most of the varieties are what's offered, so to save space I'd like to sort out the ones that are wrong species so I won't have to wait until they bear fruit to see.

Most of the varieties I got should be Annuum or Chinense (and a Frutescens as well). How early can I distinguis the plants from each other and what should I look for? I'm thinking leaf shape/colour, I'm hoping to be able to identify species before transplanting, if that is possible?

austin87 said:
Annums will grow much faster, and once the flowers open you can tell by that. Before then, some other folks can be more helpful.

Yeah, I've got a couple mature annuums and chinenses, and it's easy to tell them apart (after I learnt what to look for). I'm just hoping to be able to sort my peppers out before they get that large, since I expect that many of them will just be jalapeños or cayennes instead of more fun varieties.

FoolishBalloon said:
I've got around 30 varieties that recently sprouted from a couple semi-shady merchants. I doubt most of the varieties are what's offered, so to save space I'd like to sort out the ones that are wrong species so I won't have to wait until they bear fruit to see.

Most of the varieties I got should be Annuum or Chinense (and a Frutescens as well). How early can I distinguis the plants from each other and what should I look for? I'm thinking leaf shape/colour, I'm hoping to be able to identify species before transplanting, if that is possible?
`
As a general rule C. annuum have one fruit per node and C. chinense four fruit per node. 

Capsicum chinense

Some taxonomists consider them to be part of the species C. annuum, and they are a member of the C. annuum complex. C. annuum and C. chinense pepper plants can generally be identified by the number of flowers or fruit per node, however—one for C. annuum and two to five for C. chinense, though this method is not always correct.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
As a general rule C. annuum have one fruit per node and C. chinense four fruit per node. 

Capsicum chinense

Some taxonomists consider them to be part of the species C. annuum, and they are a member of the C. annuum complex. C. annuum and C. chinense pepper plants can generally be identified by the number of flowers or fruit per node, however—one for C. annuum and two to five for C. chinense, though this method is not always correct.

Is there no way to differentiate the species before they set bloom? 

Thank you for the replies guys, appreciate it!

I might be imagining things, but to my eye it appears that some of my seedlings have slightly different shape on their leaves. The ones that supposedly are Tabasco (frutescens) seem sligtly rounder and wider than the ones that supposedly are Trinidad Moruga (chinense), which seem a bit thinner and longer than the supposedly "sweet pickle" (which I assume is an annuum).

I'll keep those seedlings at the very least, and if they turn out to be the advertised varieties I'll attempt to find more details that can be used to differentiate species at a young stage. Since I planted multiple seeds of each plant, and the minor differences seems consistent I doubt that it's the individual seeds that show some slight variations. But maybe it's just the varieties and not species that have some slight differences?

Back