• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Origin of Douglah

So, I read an interesting post about the true origins of the 7 Pot Douglah and now I can't seem to find it again. Anyone have a link? I'm especially interested because if I remember right the post mentioned something to the effect that the true Douglah was not chocolate. This intrigues me greatly.

I am 99% sure the claim is wrong.  The word Dougla (also spelled Dogla and translated Douglah) kind of sort of means brown  More accurately, the word is used in he Caribbean to describe a brown people that were created in the Caribbean by folk from Africa and India having children together.  I am not entirely clear on the history of the people.  I think maybe a combination of slavery and English colonialism?  

Anyway, I gotta figure that the word also being used to mean brown means it is most likely the first douglah pepper was brown.

Oh, it was here. I found it when I did a Google search for the lineage of yet a different chile and happened to come across the Douglah Story.

I've searched this site with what I thought would be the best keywords and haven't found it just yet. The search continues. Onward!

The Trinidad Douglah was originally provided by Sara R from Trinidad.   it was given that name due to its color.  The definition of that term has been stated correctly based on the story provided in 2007.  I was one of the first to grow it along with a few others.    I think it is assumed to be a cross between a 7 Pot and Chocolate Hab, but that was never definitely confirmed if I recall correctly.

Chris

cmpman1974 said:
The Trinidad Douglah was originally provided by Sara R from Trinidad.   it was given that name due to its color.  The definition of that term has been stated correctly based on the story provided in 2007.  I was one of the first to grow it along with a few others.    I think it is assumed to be a cross between a 7 Pot and Chocolate Hab, but that was never definitely confirmed if I recall correctly.

Chris

Which brings us to the fun and obvious question: What is a Red Douglah?

I am glad to see you back, kicking, and overcoming.

cmpman1974 said:

Chris

I notice you always seem to pop in to set the record straight when everyone else is stumped, hah!

When are you going to write a book on the modern history of hot peppers?  I'd love to see that.

Jubnat said:

I notice you always seem to pop in to set the record straight when everyone else is stumped, hah!

When are you going to write a book on the modern history of hot peppers?  I'd love to see that.
+1 !!

cmpman1974 said:

Chris
Thanks for this..! If I recall from the post I cannot find,there it was said that the Douglah was a brown variant that popped up. To find it's a cross is even more interesting.

BrendanPicante said:
Thanks for this..! If I recall from the post I cannot find,there it was said that the Douglah was a brown variant that popped up. To find it's a cross is even more interesting.
When you phrase it like that, it sounds like it was probably an accidental cross pollination of a standard 7-Pot.

spicefreak said:
When you phrase it like that, it sounds like it was probably an accidental cross pollination of a standard 7-Pot.
The longer I live, the more I agree with that view.  I am sure natural variants show up here and there.  I am sure mutations happen.  But I am really starting to key on that line from Jurassic Park movie about life always finding a way and something Jim Duffy said about his isolation methods.  Paraphrasing, he said nothing is perfect but you do what you can. 

If I remember right, this is one of the thoughts about the original Devil's tongue too.  Amish farmer isolated with distance and seed saved.  One year, he just sort of found the Devil's tongue growing with some regular habs.  Likely some really smart bee from up to five miles away brought the pollen.  Nature is amazing.

The Red Douglah, which the name in itself is a complete contradiction based on Sara's definition, originated from Judy @ Pepperlover.com.  I am guessing it accidentally crossed with something else and a red pod popped up.  The Douglah seemed to be a very stable pepper from day 1, though never known at all outside Trinidad before 2007.  I remember thinking how neat it is to see a brown pod with all kinds of bumps.  Nowadays, every person has named every super hot in every color even though most have zero resemblance of the original strain shapewise.  It's kind of silly.  There is a red Douglah, Yellow Douglah, Orange Douglah, etc. etc.  lol. With the case of the Red Douglah, Judy's pod shape was very close to the red I recall.  It is possible to be a color mutation, but hard to say.

Chris

It seems weird to me to give the same pepper a different name based on color. For example the jalapeno goes thru various color stages while ripening. Reminds me of the strain wars going on with the cannabis community. Purple this, neon that ect.

Voodoo 6 said:
It seems weird to me to give the same pepper a different name based on color. For example the jalapeno goes thru various color stages while ripening. Reminds me of the strain wars going on with the cannabis community. Purple this, neon that ect.

Ye, naming convention gives me fits.  So you take Pepper Red and cross it with Pepper Yellow.  Do you call it a Yellow Pepper Red or a Red Pepper Yellow?  Then someone else does the same thing and decides on a different name.  Years pass and a person wants to figure out where the thing came from.  Good luck.

What would be cool is if there were a numbering identification system.  Some sort of registration for folk to say I did that and the number of my creation is this.  Then they could also post updates about stability.  Would build the thing if there was enough interest, but not sure there is enough interest.  How many people are crossing and creating?

cmpman1974 said:

Chris

The original "Trinidad Douglah" you spread back in the day is still the most painful pepper I have ever grown. On a pain + heat scale it would be pretty hard to top it.

AJ Drew said:

Ye, naming convention gives me fits.  So you take Pepper Red and cross it with Pepper Yellow.  Do you call it a Yellow Pepper Red or a Red Pepper Yellow?  Then someone else does the same thing and decides on a different name.  Years pass and a person wants to figure out where the thing came from.  Good luck.

What would be cool is if there were a numbering identification system.  Some sort of registration for folk to say I did that and the number of my creation is this.  Then they could also post updates about stability.  Would build the thing if there was enough interest, but not sure there is enough interest.  How many people are crossing and creating?

Yeah, I was thinking about that when saving seeds from my supposed Peach Wasp plant.  It turned out to be red, don't know if it was a cross or what.  It looks pretty much the same, just a little bigger and more wrinkly/wavy.

I'm not trying to name some new pepper to put out there, just for my own record keeping.  Obviously, because it's not stable, and who knows what will come of it next year.  So for now, I just labeled my seeds "Peach Wasp - Red Cross."  I assume they would be F2, as I saved seeds from a Peach Wasp pod.  And I'm guessing it's a cross and not a natural variant, because I would assume that red would be dominant over peach for color, so there would have been no recessive red genes to begin with.

Voodoo 6 said:
Red this and yellow that, reminds me of the song, sign sign everywhere a sign.

Story of my life brother.  Do this, dont do that, cant you read the sign.  Have come to the conclusion if it is not a law, I dont care.  If it is a law, I look for a cop or camera.  Life is so much better now.that I own a ninja mask.

Back