• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Karoo 2017/2018 glog

New season, new things.
My biggest challenges growing peppers in our climate are heat , drought and birds eating peppers and plants.
Biggest advantages are heat and a longer season and good soil and homemade compost.
So I have devised a plan , an all in one raised beds , drip irrigation, shade net and birdproof pepper patch.

Extensive planning have led to this.
8f3b89324ffb90115cd175fb8b02837f.jpg

db668f9e878e368d1be3dfca2e90f6c8.jpg

07d98823486201bfd2dab28a4e83e9b5.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Looks lie it's going to be a DEEEEP bed !

Looking forward to seeing in completed... with the peppers too  :P

Jeff

MNXR250R said:
Looks lie it's going to be a DEEEEP bed !

Looking forward to seeing in completed... with the peppers too  :P

Jeff
Yes it will be very deep , BUT it will be plastic lined at the bottom to prevent tree roots growing in and to help retain moisture due to our very hot and very dry summers.
I think most lower raised beds have open bottoms that allows the plants to grow their roots down .

Fortunately I have enough compost to fill it , with two years worth of garden trimmings composted.
I have been stockpiling compost , eggshells and coffee grinds for almost a year now.

Welcome back to the glogosphere, Karoo!

Wow, that is one industrial grade raised bed!
Can't wait to see it in full swing...

Good on ya, Jacques!

PaulG said:
Welcome back to the glogosphere, Karoo!

Wow, that is one industrial grade raised bed!
Can't wait to see it in full swing...

Good on ya, Jacques!
Thanx PaulG , I think I am a true hobbyist , always dreaming big and spending to much .

But, I have the space and the compost so let's see what happens!

You might want to think about drainage with that plastic, so it doesn't get all soggy on the bottom. A hole or two to drain out standing water maybe

I'd say you should have the drains at the lowest/deepest part of the bed, not high like shown in the pic. I wouldn't want water to collect at the bottom of the bed even if it was like 4 ft down.  Those sure are deep beds !!!, so maybe it won't matter.

Jeff

MNXR250R said:
I'd say you should have the drains at the lowest/deepest part of the bed, not high like shown in the pic. I wouldn't want water to collect at the bottom of the bed even if it was like 4 ft down.  Those sure are deep beds !!!, so maybe it won't matter.

Jeff
I understand your thinking , but the "plan" is based on the design of sub irrigated planters , where the water drainage is higher than the bottom, with a sort of reservoir at the bottom .

Search;  Sub Irrigated Planters  

First bed is almost finished .
Filled with
30 wheelbarrows of compost
2 wheelbarrows of sand
4 kg of bone meal
40kg of spent coffee grounds
2kg 46% urea
2kg of fine dry eggshells

Nice Karoo.I have 3ft beds lined with plastic and no water issues at all. I finally found a place to get peat moss and its not too expensive, comes in a 200l bale,they also do coco coir. They can deliver also for you if you ever want to get some for your beds,just thought i would mention it.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Very interesting approach ;)

I can't wait to see how it pans out.

It should be good!

I'm mostly dirt here, but made some raised beds which we use for winter crops. 3, each 4x8 foot with concrete bottoms (tapered), and each has 2 2" drains. Mainly to keep the bermuda grass from getting into them. On top of the concrete frames I used landscape timbers, so the depth is about 3 foot. They work great. You put much more goodies in yours than I did.

So once again, it should be really nice ;)

Good luck this season!

Gonzo said:
Nice Karoo.I have 3ft beds lined with plastic and no water issues at all. I finally found a place to get peat moss and its not too expensive, comes in a 200l bale,they also do coco coir. They can deliver also for you if you ever want to get some for your beds,just thought i would mention it.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
Thank you , I am blessed with great soil and limitless compost , now to see how it works!

Devv said:
Very interesting approach ;)

I can't wait to see how it pans out.

It should be good!

I'm mostly dirt here, but made some raised beds which we use for winter crops. 3, each 4x8 foot with concrete bottoms (tapered), and each has 2 2" drains. Mainly to keep the bermuda grass from getting into them. On top of the concrete frames I used landscape timbers, so the depth is about 3 foot. They work great. You put much more goodies in yours than I did.

So once again, it should be really nice ;)

Good luck this season!

Thank you , yes interesting , but remember we have only 250 mm of annual rainfall and summer temps above 36degrees C for most of the summer , just planting in soil does not work as all moisture is just sucked away by the surrounding dry earth.

moruga welder said:
Beds look great ! love the scenery there !     :party:
 Thank you , my favourite place for my early morning coffee , out in the back garden.

Still two weeks to go to last frost , all plants are germinated and growing in my ghetto growbox.
Old germination mix with thick fungus growth really messed up my initial germination. A thick layer of fungus  and 0% germination .

A quick microwave of the remaining germination mix quickly cured that problem .
In the back you can see all the eager Annuums  and in front the Ajis are beginning to show their hooks.

P1170018.JPG

P1170017.JPG

KAOS said:
You got some fans going in there Karoo ?
Might solve some of the growth issues.
No, fan yet.
Just some vents/holes between the lights in the top.
Will be a definite improvement. Thanx

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Back